I have done lots of slow-cooked beef dishes with red wine.
This is with white wine.
It’s based on a French recipe from the Alsace region and calls for Riesling or Sylvaner.
Beef cooked in red wine has a hearty, wine-y flavor. This was a bit lighter and the wine taste was much less intense.
Beef Stewed in White Wine
Total time: 4 hours 15 minutes prep time
- 24oz (750gr) beef, suitable for braising or stewing, cut into 1 1/2″ (4cm) cubes
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 medium leeks, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 cups (16oz, 480gr) whole tomatoes, chopped
- 4oz (250gr) mushrooms, sliced
- 2 1/2 cups (20oz, 600ml) white wine, Sylvaner or Riesling
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs cornstarch dissolved in 1 tbs water
- Combine the beef, leeks, carrots, garlic, herbs and spices in a deep bowl. Pour wine over and marinate for 24 hours, stirring once or twice.
- Remove beef and drain, reserving all marinade and vegetables.
- Heat oil in a heavy casserole. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and brown well. Remove to a plate.
- When all the beef is browned remove the casserole from heat and spoon the vegetables into the bottom, spreading evenly. Put the beef on top, pour the marinade, herbs and spice over the top.
- Bake, 300F (160C) for 3 hours.
- Add tomatoes, mushrooms to the casserole and bake for another hour.
- Remove from oven and remove bay leaves, bouquet garni
- Heat to boiling over medium heat. Add cornstarch, stirring until thickened
- Serve with boiled potatoes.
I’m toying with the idea of getting a tablet.
It’s extremely challenging to design my websites for tablets and smart-phones when I don’t have them. I can ask other people to test, but if they don’t know what something is supposed to do, and it doesn’t work, they don’t know that it’s not working. (Follow all that?)
Anyway, before all of you iPad users tell me to get an iPad…..
I’m not getting an iPad.
And it’s not just because I find the ‘sent from my iPad’ notice irritating……
Although I do )
(You can turn it off you know.)
It’s because, wonderful as they are, they’re above my budget.
I’m asking the rest of the world – any recommendations for a tablet under $300.00?
I shall now await all of the slings and arrows from the iPad users……