I was checking my recipes for a simple Asparagus Risotto the other day….
And couldn't find it.
With all of the risotto recipes I've posted on this blog, I've never posted one for Asparagus Risotto.
I've posted other risottos with asparagus but never the basic.
The others follow, but here's the one to make with the first, fresh asparagus of the season.
Preparation and cooking time: 35 minutes
- 6oz (175gr) asparagus
- 2/3 cup Arborio rice (or other rice specifically for risotto – Carnaroli or Vialone Nano)
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 125ml) dry, white wine
- 2 cups plus 2 tbs (17oz, 500ml) chicken stock
- 1 small onion or half of large one
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tbs fresh or dried chives
- 3/4 cup (3oz, 90gr) Parmesan cheese – freshly grated
- Heat chicken stock and keep hot over low heat.
- Prepare asparagus, cutting to 1 1/2 inch length, reserving tips.
- Finely chop onion.
- In medium sauce pan heat butter; add onion and sauté until transparent then add rice and sauté, stirring, for 2 – 3 minutes until rice has white center.
- Add white wine and stir.
- When wine is almost absorbed add a 1/3 cup of stock and all of the asparagus, except tips, and stir.
- When stock is almost absorbed add another 1/3 cup and continue adding 1/3 cup at a time and stirring.
- Before the last 2 '1/3 cups' are added put in the asparagus tips and the chives.
- Before the last 1/3 cup is added taste a few kernels of rice. They should be just 'al dente' – slightly resistant to the tooth but fully cooked.
- If more stock is needed add it 1 tbs at a time and waiting until almost completely absorbed. At this point risotto will be thick but not stiff – it will not hold it's shape on a plate. Add the Parmesan, stir, pour into a bowl and serve immediately.
Risotto with Asparugus, Turkey, Tomatoes and Spring Herbs
Asparagus Risotto with Truffles
Risotto with Asparagus, Prosciutto and Snow Peas
Here are a few more of my favorite risottos