We had a good run of lettuce this season. I still have a row of romaine left…. Maybe for another few days.
All the cool rainy weather was good for the lettuce.
Now it’s sunny and hot…. Bad for the lettuce but good for the tomatoes, green beans and sweet corn.
The early summer garden is transitioning to the late summer garden.
I can’t wait.
In the meantime – one more salad.
Sausage, Quinoa and Cannellini Salad
Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 1 cup beef stock
- 12oz (350gr) sausages
- 1 cup (8oz, 250gr) cannellini (white beans), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (3oz, 90gr) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2oz (60gr) shredded mozzarella
- 2 tbs fresh oregano
- 2 tbs fresh chives
- lettuce, enough for 2 large salads
- Creamy Vinaigrette
- 2 tbs Greek yogurt
- 2 tbs sherry vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tbs olive oil
- Cook quinoa in broth, 15 minutes or until done.
- Remove quinoa from heat, uncover and fluff with fork.
- Cook sausages on grill or fry in a skillet.
- Put all ingredients for vinaigrette in small and whisk well.
- Put lettuce and herbs in a salad bowl, add half of vinaigrette and toss well.
- When sausages are done, remove and cut into 1″ pieces.
- Add sausages, beans, tomatoes to lettuce and toss well.
- Taste and add more vinaigrette as needed.
- Sprinkle with cheese and serve.
The fête we went to on Sunday was at a local winery.
This is serious wine country here, but most are small, family vineyards that make good quality, everyday wine for everyday prices.
A lot of them have summer fêtes, ranging from simple (like this one) to elaborate, with large, fancy dinners and art fairs among the vines.
Under the tents were local artisans offering samples of their wares: bread, wine, confitures and cheeses, as well as the cooks making the main item: lunch.
We had entertainment while we ate – both the paid accordion player and anyone who felt like having a turn at the mike… Like the gentleman in the white cap.
Of course there was wine for sale…. Lots of wine for sale.
Or maybe they just liked the music.