We played yesterday.
We don't play often, but it is summer, and when the opportunity presents itself to have a leisurely Sunday lunch one really should take advantage.
When I learned that one of my favorite food bloggers was going to be in the neighborhood, it seemed the perfect time to inaugurate our new dining room.
The lovely Núria of Spanish Recipes, and her charming esposo, joined us for a leisurely lunch yesterday…. And it was a good thing we had a dining room as it rained for the first time in over a month.
It's a bit intimidating to make lunch for a food blogger (even one on holiday), especially one as talented as Núria.
But that thought didn't last…
We were far too busy laughing and talking and comparing notes and asking each other questions to think about anything else.
And since both husbands are pretty serious foodies themselves, I think a 'good time was had by all'.
This was our starter: (I made a very simple, very easy lunch…)
Chilled Yellow Tomato and Pepper Soup
Preparation and cooking time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 5 large yellow tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/3 cup chopped pimiento
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 1 tbs fresh true oregano leaves
- 1 tbs snipped chives
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan. Add onion, pepper and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, chicken stock, cover, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Purée in blender.
- Chill soup or allow to cool to room temperature.
- Purée pimiento, ketchup in blender, chill.
- When ready to serve: Ladle the soup into bowls, drizzle with pimiento sauce, sprinkle with herbs and serve.
Note: Peel tomatoes by blanching in boiling water for 30 seconds first. The peels slip off easily.
Oh, BTW, here's the dining room, with table (fireplace still isn't finished). This is the table that was left to us at our last house. It opens up to twice the length.
We now have our old kitchen table in the kitchen – which has been in storage for 8 years….
The re-do on the little downstairs bathroom is almost done.
The floor is finished.
So he decided to build one.
Naturally, we had no tile left to do the countertop – but he was 'sure I could find something….'
He was right.
Now I'm going to have a cup of tea and finish off the Absolute Best Brownies that I made for dessert….