Way back in the begiining of time, every summer, a co-worker would bring zucchini bread to the office.
It had lots of green flecks in it.
I never ate it.
I came close once… The green flecks reminding me of the brownies from my college days.
Then I remembered who had baked the bread.
Just as well… Mon mari assures me that it wasn't very good.
This, on the other hand, is wonderful.
One needs another zucchini recipe, right?
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 7oz (200gr) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped (3/4 – 1 cup)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 cups grated or finely shredded zucchini
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
- Butter 2 large loaf pans, then line the bottom with wax or parchment paper.
- Combine butter, sugars, eggs, vanilla in a large bowl and whisk well.
- Stir together flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and stir gently until just starting to combine.
- Add zucchini, chocolate chunks and walnuts and stir just until combined.
- Spoon into loaf pans, dividing equally.
- Bake 30 – 40 minutes until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Remove from pans and cool completely before slicing.
These keep well for 4 – 5 days and freeze beautifully.
It's been hot here – the last few days have been hitting 38C (100F).
The puppies and the humans do not like it.
The zucchini and the tomatoes absolutely love it.
I think I could sit in the garden watching them grow and ripen.
Or I could if it wasn't so bloody hot.