Did you know that butternut squash isn't just another delicious vegetable
As well as being a great source of beta-carotene it's also, like dark leafy greens, a great source of antioxidants.
Makes me feel better already….
Everyone (including me) is putting it in pastas and soups and quiches and breads and risottos and …..
I thought I'd remind everyone of what a great vegetable it is…. As a vegetable!
I first made this with summer squash. It's just as good with winter squash.
Butternut Squash Patties
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups shredded butternut squash
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tbs dry bread crumbs
- 2 tbs Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Clean squash.
- Shred squash using large holes on box shredder or food processor.
- In medium bowl lightly beat egg.
- Add mustard, bread crumbs, Parmesan, salt, pepper and mix well.
- Add squash and mix well.
- Heat large nonstick skillet over medium heat with 1 tbs oil.
- Divide squash into 4ths and spoon each 4th into pan, shaping into patty and patting down lightly.
- Sauté 10 minutes, or until brown, then turn and sauté the other side 10 minutes longer.
- Remove and serve.
Note: To clean butternut squash first peel it, using a potato/vegetable peeler. If it's large (typically) cut it in half between the 'neck' and 'bowl' ends. Then cut those in half the 'long' way. Scoop the seeds out of the round end and discard. I use the neck end for uniform pieces and the bowl end for soups and smaller pieces.
A few more simple ideas….
Mashed Butternut Squash
Stir-Fried Butternut Squash
Butternut Squash Gratin
From around the web:
Kalyn's Kitchen: Roasted Butternut Squash with Smoked Paprika
Mele Cotte: Butternut Squash, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad
Eats Well With Others: Barley Risotto with Butternut Squash and Gruyere
Oh She Glows: 5 Favorite Butternut Squash Recipes