The garden is done….
Well, except for the chard. That seems to have a life of it’s own and loves the cool weather.
I picked the last handful of green beans, lots of chard and raided the fridge for the rest.
Chicken and Chard Lo Mein
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts, about 10oz (300gr) total, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 onion, quartered and sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs minced ginger
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, halved and sliced
- 6oz (175gr) chard, roughly chopped, stems kept separate
- 3oz (90gr) green beans, roughly chopped
- 4oz (125gr) mushrooms, trimmed and sliced
- 4oz (125gr) linguine, about 1″ (2.5cm) circle
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) chicken stock
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) sherry
- 1 tbs cornstarch (corn flour, Maizena) dissolved in
- 2 tsp soy sauce plus 1 tbs water
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- While pasta cooks: Heat 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp sesame oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushrooms and sauté 3 – 5 minutes, until they start to brown. Remove to a plate and set aside.
- Add remaining oils, onions, pepper, chard stems, beans to skillet, stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic, ginger, stir-fry another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken to skillet and stir-fry 3 minutes.
- Return mushrooms to skillet.
- Add stock, sherry and chard leaves.
- Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 3 – 4 minutes until chard wilts and vegetables are tender.
- To finish: Drain pasta.
- Uncover skillet and add cornstarch mixture, stirring until thickened.
- Add pasta, toss to combine and serve.
Just for fun I took a photo of the kitchen just before I started cooking….
Note Bonnie watching me closely.
Guapa was immediately on the other side of the butcher-block…. In case anything should accidently get knocked off.
Mon mari has started the actual hammering and sawing upstairs….
In this third bedroom we’re going to have a closet along one wall.
Where the ladder is, we’ll have an ‘upper’ closet used for storing stuff like luggage. It will be above the normal size clothes closet.
I’m pleased because we really need more closet space.
We’ve also been doing all the other boring stuff that needs doing this time of year – hauling firewood, cleaning out the vegetable garden, trimming trees….
Lounging around the couch, eating bonbons and watching old movies…..
The usual stuff…