When one has one’s own garden one can grow a variety of interesting produce.
When one plants more than one can eat during the summer one can fill the freezer with home-grown, organic vegetables to use all winter.
And then one can end up with some rather strange bits.
Everyone loves sliced heirloom tomatoes – yellow and orange and white and green and purple.
In the winter, however, when one wants tomato sauce, red is what is expected.
Chopped white tomatoes in Spaghetti and Meatballs just doesn’t seem to work right.
And Green Tomato Sauce with the Stuffed Mushrooms – well, it needs to be identified…..
Tastes right, though.
Mushrooms Stuffed with Mascarpone and Bacon
Total time: 25 minutes
- 6 large mushrooms
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp sherry vinegar
- 2oz (60gr) bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
- 2 tbs Parmesan, grated
- 1 tsp basil
1 cup (8oz, 240gr) green tomatoes
- 1 tsp oregano
- Clean mushrooms, removing stems.
- Heat 1 tsp oil and 1 tsp vinegar in nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add mushroom caps and sauté until light brown, 3 – 4 minutes, turning once.
- Remove and place on a baking sheet.
- Add remaining 2 tsp olive oil, shallots, garlic and bacon to skillet, Sauté until bacon is crisp.
- Remove bacon, shallots, garlic, draining excess fat.
- In small bowl mix mascarpone, Parmesan, basil, bacon, shallots and garlic.
- Spoon mixture into mushroom caps, dividing evenly.
- Bake in 375F (180C) oven for 10 minutes, until they are light brown.
To finish: Heat tomatoes and oregano a small saucepan until hot.
- Purée and keep warm until needed.
- Spoon some tomato sauce onto the bottom of 2 small plates. Divide the mushrooms and arrange on sauce. Serve.
I cleaned the house today.
Ordinarily, that would be very satisfying.
When since we heat with wood and have ongoing construction, I am confident that by tomorrow morning I will be able to, once again, write my name on all of the furniture.
Really makes me wonder why I bother….
I will bother to give you all the links for all the options to buy my cookbook(s) (Aren’t you thrilled?)
Well, I did the work – I get to shout it all to the world on occasion.
There are links to the Kindle editions as well as the print editions on my Amazon author page (Yes, I have an Amazon author page)
Of course you can also just search my name or Healthy Small Plates.
Actually, you can just Google ‘Healthy Small Plates’ and find lots of links – which is kind of cool….
My page at Smashwords – Kate Zeller
I used that for all the other ebook formats – Nook, iBook, Kobo, Sony…. you can find them at all the other sites – slowly. You can also buy directly from Smashwords.
Finally, CreateSpace – Kate Zeller
CreateSpace is what I used for the print versions.
There you have it!
Now I have to go tend the fires….