In honor of mon mari’s favorite ‘fish hell day’ I decided to post the most recent success.
He actually likes tuna.
I should say canned tuna because he always loves sushi….
The next best thing to sliced bread: hard-boiled eggs that are easy to peel…. easy every time.
Mediterranean Tuna Pasta
Total time: 30 minutes
- 8oz (250gr) fresh fussili
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4 green garlic, trimmed and sliced, using as much green as possible
- 1/2 yellow pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 3 tbs capers
- 1/2 cup dry-cured Greek olives
- 3oz (90gr) feta, crumbled
- 2 tbs chopped fresh chives
- 2 tbs chopped fresh oregano
- 15oz (450gr) whole tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 12oz (350gr) tuna, canned (tinned)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Heat oil in medium nonstick skillet. Add green garlic, pepper and chili powder. Sauté until tender.
- Add chopped tomatoes and simmer until tomatoes soften.
- Add capers, olives, tuna and herbs, heat through.
- Add feta, pasta, stir well and serve.
Tired of having hard-boiled eggs that take forever to peel?
Want to know the secret to hard-cooking them so that they peel easily?
To be honest, I didn’t believe this.
I’ve tried lots of things that were ‘guaranteed’ to make them easy to peel.
Nothing worked reliably..
The eggs peel so easily the shells almost slide off in one piece.
I’ve done it three times – worked every time.
I’ll even give credit where credit is due.
I found the tip in Cooking Light Magazine.
This tip alone is paying for the subscription.
I have to admit, I seriously debated with myself over renewing this year.
I think they’re getting too…. Simple on the one hand and preachy on the other.
For the first – often the recipes will list 1/2 cup pre-chopped onion or 1 cup pre-sliced carrots.
Don’t the editors think that, if I need 1/2 cup chopped onion, I can decide for my own self whether to chop it or pay to have it chopped?
For the second – recently I’ve noticed what I would consider excessive descriptors of ingredients.
Instead of a simple:
10oz, salmon, caught by hand with a single line while sitting in a wooden boat using carefully nurtured, organically raised bait that was willing to be sacrificed to the greater good.
Okay… So they don’t say that….
Still, I think I’m capable of deciding whether I want to buy ‘sustainable’ fish or ‘organic’ produce or whatever.
Oh yeah… The tip!
The secret to hard-cooked, easy-to-peel eggs is this:
Put the eggs in a steamer basket over an inch or so of water. Bring the water to a boil, cover the pan and steam the eggs for 16 minutes. Remove from heat and cover the eggs with cold water for 2 minutes.
It works…. Really!