Summer is officially here.
The temperature climbed above 30C (86F) today, for the first time this year.
That’s 3 beautiful days in one week.
Grilling time is officially here.
We’ve just been toying with it up until now….
Summer is also about easy…. This is.
Tapenade is a Provencal specialty of finely chopped olives, capers, anchovies and olive oil.
Grilled Chicken With Tapenade
Total time: 45 minutes
- your favorite cut-up chicken pieces we had 3 legs and 3 thighs
- 3 tbs black olive tapenade
- 1 tbs olive oil
- t tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp paprika
- Loosen the skin on the chicken by slowly working your fingers between the flesh and the skin. Try not to puncture the skin.
- With your fingers take a bit of the tapenade and put it under the skin, smoothing it over the flesh. Pat the skin back in place.
- Whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice; spread over the skin.
- Sprinkle with paprika.
- Cook on barbecue grill for 30 – 45 minutes. Chicken is done at 170F (76C) or when juices run clear – poke with a skewer or knife. Thighs and legs take a bit longer than breasts.
Putting flavorings under the skin lets the flavors slowly baste the meat.
Marinating, and adding to the top of the skin gives a lovely, crispy skin….
Like this Herb and Lemon Grilled Chicken.
For traditional Barbecued Chicken – with my favorite, home-made Barbecue Sauce….
One of the things I enjoy most about summer here is being able to go out in the evening, after 9PM, water my garden and watch the beautiful sunset.
If I had tried that in Minnesota or Wisconsin I would have been carried off by mosquitoes.
We always had to be in the house before sunset or doused with DEET.
I don’t miss mosquitoes.