One of our long-time favorite summer meals is simply grilled sausages with grilled peppers, onions and potatoes.
It’s one of those meals that requires no thought, minimum effort and can be handled easily sitting in a lawn chair somewhere near the barbecue – preferably sipping a chilled summer wine.
But when there is spinach and lettuce in the garden we eat salads.
Lettuce, spinach and other salad greens are merely a blank canvas, chez nous….
An opportunity to be creative.
Salad with Sausages, Peppers, Lemon and Potatoes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 6 sausages, 10oz (300gr) total weight
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into cubes
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2oz (60gr) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 preserved lemon, rinsed, rind slice, pulp discarded
- 4 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Lettuce – enough for a main meal salad for 2
- Lemon Vinaigrette:
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 2 tbs lemon vinegar
- 3 tbs salad olive oil
- Combine 2 tsp olive oil, paprika and potatoes. Either cook in a pan on the barbecue or in the oven, on a baking sheet in a 400F oven for 25 minutes. When done, remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Combine 2 tsp olive oil, Worcestershire sauce, peppers and onions. Either cook in a pan on the barbecue or sauté in a skillet until onions are just barely tender.
- Remove peppers, onions from heat and add preserved lemon; stir to combine. Allow to cool slightly.
- Cook sausages – either on the barbecue grill or in a skillet. When done, remove, slice and allow to cool slightly.
- Tear lettuce and put in a large bowl.
- Combine mustard, lemon juice, lemon vinegar in bowl and whisk well.
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil whisking constantly so that the dressing emulsifies (gets thick).
- To finish:
- Add 1/3 of the vinaigrette to the lettuce and toss to combine.
- Add peppers, onions, potatoes sausage, feta and 1/3 more of the vinaigrette to lettuce and toss gently.
- Add more dressing as you like, using all of it or reserving some to be added at table.
This salad, Sausages, Potatoes and Goat Cheese is also a long-time favorite.
Mon mari has done a bit of work inside this week – despite his vow to take the summer off.
He got bored in the rain a few weeks ago and decided to finish the wiring.
In order to do that he needed to put up a wall.
In order to put up the wall he needed the boards…. and the insulation.
The arrow points to the cat hole in the door to the barn and decrepit barn stairs.
Yes, that is, in fact, a door.
And so it goes…..
While I was taking the photo, I noticed this spider in the window.
Naturally, I wouldn’t move any closer to take the photo so it’s not a close-up.
It’s not even one of the big ones….. but if you look closely you can see the leg span.
As long as it was not actually in my living space I did not demand its immediate execution.
I hope I don’t regret my generosity.