This is based on a Moroccan Tagine I made earlier this year.
Mon mari wanted Moroccan; I wanted easy skillet dinner.
I had butternut squash in the fridge.
Thus a dish is born…. compromise and creativity.
This is spicy, not hot.
If you want hot – add harissa or hot sauce.
Spicy Chicken with Butternut Squash
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless, cut into large pieces
- 6 medium shallots, cut in half if large, otherwise left whole
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups (12oz, 360gr) butternut squash, cut into large chunks
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken broth
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tsp cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- Heat oil in medium skillet. Add shallots, garlic, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, ginger and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, butternut squash and sauté 5 minutes.longer.
- Remove vegetables to a plate. Add chicken and lightly brown.
- Return vegetables to skillet, add chicken stock, tomato paste, cover and simmer until vegetables are done, 25 – 30 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water.
- Uncover skillet, increase heat and add cornstarch, stirring until sauce is thickened.
- Serve with rice or couscous.
I have a favor to ask….
I’ve just spent the better part of the weekend fine-tuning and tweaking my website, Thyme for Cooking.
Different browsers and different equipment handle the design, um, differently.
I have a Kindle Fire 8.9, and and old Samsung smart phone, both of which I have been using for testing.
If any one has a free minute, and different phones or tablets, and is feeling generous….
Could you have a look and let me know if anything is, well, off?
Things like the banner covering up the navigation bar or the recipe photo covering up the ingredient list.
All of the pages have the same design code so if you just look at one or two that would be wonderful.
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated. I’ve been looking at it all so long I no longer see anything….
The girl dogs will also be very grateful.
Once I get this project finished I promised them I would spend a lot more time petting and playing and chasing bunnies.
If you want nutrition information for the recipe, try this site: Calorie Count