Some foods simply belong together.
Hamburgers and French Fries.
Fish and Chips.
Pot Roast and Potatoes.
Tomatoes and Basil.
For me Roast Lamb needs Lentils and Confit of Duck….
Maybe it’s the Cassoulet connection, but I couldn’t think of anything more fitting with the Roast Duck Confit than one of my favorite white bean dishes.
White and Red Beans with Tomatoes and Sage
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 3/4 cups (15oz, 450gr) cannellini beans (white kidney), drained and rinsed
- 1 3/4 cups (150z, 450gr) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbs dried sage leaves, crumbled
- 2 cups (15oz, 450gr) tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- Heat oil in large, nonstick skillet.
- Add onions and sauté 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, sage and sauté 2 minutes longer.
- Add beans, tomatoes, cover and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add vinegar, stir to combine and serve.
Apparently, my dogs were meant to be together, as well.
They were laying quietly, all tangled up together, as they so often do. I tried to get a photo but, of course, as soon as they heard my footstep they had to look at me.
They still play together like puppies and run around together and bark together, but they also spend quiet time together.
Not always, but often.
They clean each other’s eyes and ears and lay on each other’s paws.
They lay side by side at the bottom of the stairs each morning, waiting for me.
It’s been three years since we lost our Sedi and Emma.
They were together for 7 years but never really got past merely tolerating each other. They would walk together and run together and, very occasionally, play together. They would sometimes lay in the same patch of shade….
But they also snapped and growled and totally ignored each other.
Hard to believe they have been gone that long; hard to believe Bonnie and Guapa are almost three years old.
We love the young ones…. But still miss the old ones….
I wonder if it’s the rain and mud this time of year that always makes me think dog thoughts….