We had pasta!
Now that I think about…. On Fish Hell Night mon mari agreed to have pasta.
I guess he decided to get his misery out of the way in one night.
Okay, it wasn’t quite that bad. He actually likes shrimp…
The orzo is made ‘risotto-style’ for added creaminess.
The shrimp could also be quickly sautéed but we like the flavor cooking on the grill gives it. Add a bit of time if you have to clean the shrimp.
Grilled Shrimp with Pimiento Sauce On Herbed Orzo
Total time: 30 minutes
- 10oz (300gr) cleaned large shrimp
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs lemon juice – fresh is best
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Pimiento Sauce:
- 4oz (120gr) pimento pimiento (pimento) or roasted red peppers
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) tomato sauce
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 – 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- Red pepper flakes, if you want more heat
- Herbed Orzo:
- 1/2 cup (4.5oz, 130gr) orzo
- 1 1/4 cups (12oz, 360ml) chicken stock
- 1 tbs snipped fresh chives
- 1 tbs snipped fresh basil
- Mix garlic, paprika, lemon juice and oil in a bowl, whisking well to combine.
- Add shrimp and toss to coat.
- To cook on barbecue grill: either put shrimp on skewers or cook in perforated grill pan with a little olive oil.
- To cook on stove top: add a little olive oil to a large frying pan and sauté over medium-high heat
- Either method: cook for 3-5 minutes – until shrimp curl and turn opaque. When done, remove from heat.
- Pimiento Sauce:
- Finely chop shallot and garlic.
- Heat oil in small sauce pan over medium heat. Add chili powder, shallot and garlic and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients for sauce and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Purée with blender or immersion blender.
Save half or a bit less of the sauce for another use.
- Herbed Orzo:
- Put orzo and stock in small pan and bring to simmer on medium heat.
- Turn heat to medium – low, and simmer until done, stirring occasionally, 15 – 20 minutes.
- All stock should be absorbed, if not, drain. Add a bit of water if it gets too dry.
- Snip herbs and stir into orzo. (Add dried herbs at the beginning of cooking)
- Remove from heat.
- To Serve:
- Divide the orzo between 2 plates, arranging nicely.
- Spoon 2 – 3 tbs of sauce onto each mound of orzo.
- Arrange the shrimp on the sauce. Drizzle the shrimp with a bit more sauce and serve.
Bonnie and Guapa heard me, uh, commenting on our lack of fun so far this summer.
They decided to take matters into their own paws.
They haven’t seen their brother, Ghengis, in almost two years.
They decided it was time for a family reunion.
Since we don’t want 5 big, white dogs at our house, we’ve decided to take the girls to visit their brother (and grandmother and great uncle).
As long as we’re going to be in the area, I get to go to Andorra to do some shopping.
Summer is looking up.
I get to shop, the girls get to play with their brother. and mon mari gets to play with his friend and watch non-stop guy-stuff on TV for 3 days.
As long as granny (the doggie granny) doesn’t take exception to our girls.
In a household with one male human and two male dogs it’s the only female that is in complete charge.
As she should be (snicker…)