I was looking at my food photos from June and saw two that looked alike. Curious as to why I had processed two of the same thing I took a closer look.
I apparently made the same salad twice – once with sausages and once with chicken breasts.
Obviously we liked the salad.
Obviously I need to slow down.
If I can’t remember what I made, and ate, for dinner a week ago I’m running too fast and not smelling the roses….
Or tasting the salads.
Sausage, Red Pepper and Red Bean Salad
Total time: 30 minutes
- 6 sausages, 10oz total weight, (300gr)
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into sticks
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 8oz (240gr) red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup green olives, sliced
- 2oz (60gr) Gruyère cheese, cubed
- handful fresh oregano leaves, removed from stems but left whole
- Salad greens for 2 large salads, I had a mix of red, spinach and Romaine
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbs sherry vinegar
- 3 tbs salad olive oil
- Mix olive oil and chili powder in a large bowl.
- Add peppers and onion, stir to coat.
- Cook on barbecue grill in any old metal pan that has been designated for barbecue use – stirring frequently, for about 15 minutes, just until starting to brown but still a bit crunchy.
- Cook sausages on barbecue grill for 10 – 20 minutes, depending on size.
- When done, remove and slice into 1 1/2″ (4cm) pieces.
- Prepare salad greens.
- Put vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire, garlic in small bowl and whisk to combine. Slowly drizzle in oil, whisking constantly.
- To finish:
- Toss salad greens with half of the vinaigrette.
- Add remaining ingredients and toss gently to combine.
- Taste and add more dressing as desired….I use it all..
The other thing that happens when I’m running too fast is that I don’t do anything fun.
School’s been out for almost a whole week and we haven’t done anything.
We haven’t gotten the bikes out of storage, we didn’t go the village fête, we didn’t go to the Occitan Fête, we didn’t go to Garorock, the big 3 day rock and blues festival near us…
Okay, it’s been windy and stormy for the last few days, but it’s summer!
We should be doing stuff.
On the other hand, I haven’t had to spend my usual hour watering the potager and herb garden every night.
Now I have to go pick the lettuce for dinner.
I’ve been posting a lot of salad recipes lately, and I’ve said that we only eat salads this time of year, when I have fresh lettuce.
And when the lettuce is done, I’m ready to be done with salads.
Partly it’s because I’ve had my fill… Salads for lunch and dinner every day for a month is enough.
Partly it’s because when I make a salad I don’t open a bag of pre-cut, pre-washed mixed greens.
I go out to the potager, pick the lettuce, fill the vegetable sink with water and wash it, carefully, to make sure all the little slugs and snails (the babies like to hid in the folds of lettuce leaves) are gone. I hate it when I’m eating a salad and there’s a crunch where no crunch ought to be.
But, hey, we know it’s organic, right?
2 thoughts on “Sausage, Red Pepper and Red Bean Salad”
You sound like you have a lot of good stuff happening in your area – take your salad with you !!
Kate, we really need to get out more…. I have to make my list of summer festivals and make plans.
Comments are closed.