I have more green tomatoes on my vines at the moment than I picked all summer.
The vines are breaking from the weight.
I doubt that they will all ripen, so I have been cutting a few off to give the others a chance.
As long as I had all these lovely green tomatoes…..
Fried Green Tomatoes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 3 medium green tomatoes
- 1 ball fresh mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup corn meal (polenta)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Cut 2 slices, 1/3 ” (1cm) thick, from each tomato
- Slice the mozzarella – one slice for each tomato slice.
- Get 3 flattish bowls or plates. Put flour in one, corn meal in one and the egg, beaten with a fork in the last.
- Put a large, nonstick skillet on medium – medium high heat. Add oil and heat.
- With your fingers (or a tongs) pick up one tomato slice, dip both sides in flour, then egg, then corn meal and place in skillet.
- Fry 3 – 5 minutes or until brown, turn with spatula and fry for 3 minutes more.
- Just before they’re done top with a slice of mozzarella cover the pan and cook for 1 minute longer.
- Transfer tomatoes to individual plates and serve.
You’ve seen the cartoons of dogs trying to run and their back legs scramble forever trying to get traction?
It really happens.
We have tile floors.
When our girls attempt to go from sleeping to running in a split second they look exactly like the cartoon dogs – they’re back legs flailing in all directions.
Sometimes they end up doing a belly flop on the floor and have to start over; sometimes they manage to get out the door and bark at the car / tractor / bunny / whatever.
I should be nicer to them…..
They killed a spider for me last night.
On the other hand, they keep stealing my walnuts.
I wonder if they like green tomatoes?
Mon mari towed the old lawnmower to the main road and put a ‘libre’ (free) sign on it. We’re taking bets as to how long it lasts. Anyone?