I love it when I discover something new!
I always used to make pizza totally from scratch, starting with the dough.
Always, that is, until a few years ago when I discovered how easy and delicious a puff pastry crust was.
Plus, one circle of puff pastry was the perfect size for a pizza for the two of us. My old scratch dough pizza was a bit too much.
My new discovery is using ‘wraps’ as crust.
This last July, when we finally got the bikes out and started going for rides, I stocked up on picnic foods, including wraps for sandwiches.
We had some left.
Pizza seemed like a good idea.
It turned out to be a great idea.
The 9 inch circles were the perfect size for individual pizzas, they baked in less than 10 minutes and the crust was light and crispy.
Tomato and Avocado Pizza
Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 bread wraps, 9″ (22cm)
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) tomato sauce
- 3 tbs pesto rosso or regular pesto
- 8 – 12 roma tomatoes, thinly sliced enough to cover the two circles
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 cup (4oz, 120gr) shredded cheese
- 4 thin slices Prosciutto, (3oz, 90gr), torn into small pieces
- 1/3 cup sliced green olives
- Lay the wraps on a baking sheet.
- Mix tomato sauce and pesto. Spread on the wraps
- Arrange the tomato slices on the pastry.
- Top with the Prosciutto, then the avocado.
- Sprinkle with olives, then cheese.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 400F (200C) for 8 – 10 minutes, or until crust and top are golden brown.
It was so good we decided to do it again.
This time I skipped the tomato sauce.
I chopped 2 red onions and fried them in olive oil until well cooked. I spread the onions on the wraps and sprinkled on 1 tsp dried oregano.
I topped the onions with sliced tomatoes, Prosciutto, 4oz (120gr) of sliced mushrooms, sliced black olives and sliced goat cheese.
Neither one of us could decide which we liked better.
Guess we’ll have to do it all again….
We have enough tomatoes.
Can you believe all the tomatoes I have in the middle of October?
They’re not the prettiest, but they’re good. I’m amazed that they are ripening as well as they are. I pulled out the cherry tomatoes.
It was getting too overwhelming.
I may have to make soup….