This is based on an idea I saw on Pinterest.
As usual, I saw the photo and promptly forgot where I saw it. I never did find the recipe but I rather liked the idea.
I just needed to come up with something to put in the rings that would stay moist but not run out underneath them before they were done.
I did…. The spinach was perfect.
Besides, we really like spinach.
Stuffed Acorn Squash Rings
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 small acorn squash
- 6oz (180 gr) frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tbs chopped almonds
- 1 tsp Herbes de Provence
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup (2oz, 60gr) shredded cheese
- 2 tsp olive
- Cut acorn squashes in half the short way and clean out the center.
- Cut 2 thick slices from each half, for a total of 4 slices. Reserve the rest for another use.
- Brush slices with oil and place on a baking sheet. Bake, 400F (200C) for 5 minutes
- While squash bakes:
- Sauté shallots in remaining oil until tender, about 5 minutes
- In a medium bowl whisk egg.
- Add herbs, paprika, spinach, shallots, almonds and cheese. Stir well.
- Remove acorn squash. Divide spinach and spoon into the center of each ring.
- Return to oven and bake for 15 minutes longer
- Divide, put onto two plates and serve.
We had sunny weather over the weekend. It was warm enough for mon mari to take the radiator off the wall and do the painting
Of course he had to do the plastering first.
The narrow platform underneath the window and along the wall is going to be a bench / window seat with storage.
I thought it would make a cozy little reading nook…. If I ever manage to find the time.
I was out taking photos of all the lovely green fields. The winter wheat and rapeseed is all up and the pastures have turned green with the winter rains.
As I was looking at them in photoshop I decided to do a ‘panaroma’. I have no idea why the center 2 have a bluer sky than the others as I took them all within about 10 seconds.
I didn’t want to fuss further with them but I thought you might enjoy my view. The laurel tree on the left is right next to that corner of the house, so this view is everything one can see from our balcony, including our village off in the distance.
WEEK 8: Are you a winter squash fanatic? Join the fun or just follow along:
See 12 Weeks of Winter Squash Facebook Page for details.