A food processor would make short work of all the chopping for this recipe.
I, of course, couldn’t be bothered to get it out…. I spent about 15 minutes chopping.
Don’t let the greenish tinge to the burgers put you off. They fry up to a lovely dark, proper burger color, they taste fantastic and you get a healthy dose of vegetables almost without noticing. It’s a great way to sneak some spinach into vegetable-haters.
I originally posted this about 7 years ago – but it’s worth an update. These are our favorite winter burgers.
Spinach Burgers with Mushroom Sauce
Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 12oz ground beef (360gr mince)
- 1/2 cup chopped, cooked spinach – or frozen, thawed, & squeezed dry – about 8oz, (240gr)
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) red wine – 2 tbs for the patties, 2 tbs for the cornstarch and the rest for the sauce
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) beef broth
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tbs cornstarch (corn flour, maizena)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat sauté half of onions, celery, garlic and mushrooms about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- Thaw (or cook) spinach and squeeze out all liquid.
- In a large bowl lightly beat the egg.
- Add bread crumbs, 2 tbs of red wine and thyme.
- Mix well, then add the beef, spinach and sautéed onion mixture.
- Mix well – hands work best, and form into 4 patties.
- Heat remaining 1 tbs of oil in the same skillet, add patties and sauté about 5 minutes per side.
- Remove, put on oven-proof plate or platter and put in 250F (125C) oven to keep warm while you finish sauce.
- Add remaining onions, celery, garlic and mushrooms to skillet and sauté about 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add 1/2 cup red wine, beef stock and tomato paste to pan and bring to a boil.
- Dissolve cornstarch in remaining 2 tbs of red wine (or water) and add to sauce, stirring constantly until thickened.
- Remove patties from oven, pour some of the sauce over and serve with remaining sauce on the side.
First, I thought I’d show you a photo of the girls…. They’ve been bored. Asking them to pose for photos did nothing to alleviate that.
They’re still together all the time, sometimes even sleeping on the same bed.
They have not tried to kill each other lately.
Mon mari is busy working on the ceiling.
He was finally able to put up a few long boards in this section.
But he still has a ways to go.
We have two (maybe three) lots of guests coming this year so there’s a strong incentive to get it done.