Think of it as spring meat loaf.
You can even do it in the oven if you like…. But we prefer it on the grill.
I cook the green garlic first so we can cook the hamburger to medium, rather than well-done.
Yes, we still eat our hamburgers medium…. And our steaks rare.
I topped the green garlic with lots of fresh, spring herbs and a bit of feta.
Giant Burger Stuffed with Green Garlic and Herbs
Total time: 35 minutes
- 12oz (360gr) ground beef (mince)
- 3 green garlic, sliced, including green tops
- 3 tbs fresh, snipped chives
- 3 tbs fresh oregano leaves, pulled off stem
- 2oz (60gr) feta, crumbled
- 2 tsp olive oil
- If cooking on the barbecue: wire grill-basket or a mesh grill pan
- If cooking in the oven: baking sheet
- Sauté green garlic in olive oil until tender.
- Remove and set aside.
- Oil grill basket, mesh pan or baking sheet.
- Divide beef in half. On plates or waxed paper pat each half into a thin patty, 8 or 9 inches (20 – 23cm) in diameter.
- Spread green garlic, herbs, and feta, over 1 patty to within 1/2 inch of edge.
- Flatten the second patty a bit more and carefully put it on top and work the edges together with your fingers to seal. Slide or tip it on to the grill basket and close basket. If you don’t use a basket you’ll need a plate or baking sheet to help turn it.
- If using the barbecue, grill for 8 – 10 minutes over medium-high heat, carefully turn and grill another 8 – 10 or until done.
- If using oven, bake at 400F for 30 – 35 minutes or until done.
- Remove to platter, cut into wedges and serve.
The window seat / bench is almost finished.
It’s taken a bit longer than expected…..
I, er, requested some last minute changes.
As usual, mon mari saw the wisdom of my suggestions (ahem) and he graciously made the changes..
Didn’t he do a nice job on the front?
And the top…
The top isn’t finished yet, but he laid it there so I could get a photo of it.
There’s not quite as much storage as one would think inside as it has a false bottom for access to the plumbing.
Another coat of varnish on everything, a bit more trim and this room is done.
We should be able to set up the bed just in time for our guests.
Don’t worry, there are other projects lined up for him.
Last update on May 25, 2015