A long, long time ago, in a place far, far away, I worked with a woman who craved Jeno’s Pizza Rolls when she was pregnant.
She went through two pregnancies while we worked together and she ate a lot of pizza rolls.
The entire floor of our office building reeked of pizza rolls.
She was very specific – they had to be Jeno’s.
While I was checking to see if Jeno’s was still around (they’ve been ‘re-branded’ under the name Totino’s if you care…. I don’t) I ran across this old Jeno’s commercial. If you have a hankering to see some 60’s TV stars in a commercial, including The Lone Ranger and Tonto, have a look. It’s a hoot!
And just so you know….my pizza rolls are better…..
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 sheets phyllo dough
- 3oz (90gr) ground beef
- 1/3 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped green olives
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp smoky paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp olive oil, plus more for phyllo
- The Sauce:
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) tomato sauce
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Sauté onions, peppers,and garlic in oil until tender
- Add beef, breaking it up as it browns.
- Add fennel, oregano, chili powder and paprika. Sauté another minute or two to blend flavors.
- Remove from heat. Stir in olives and cheese.
- Remove 1 sheet of pastry and re-wrap the rest. It’s important to keep filo covered at all times or it will dry out very quickly.
- Lay the sheet out flat and lightly brush all over with olive oil.
- Cut pastry in half the long way.
- At the narrow end of one half divide and arrange 1/4 of the filling.
- Roll up like a cigar, tucking in sides as you roll.
- Place on an oiled baking sheet and brush the top and sides with oil.
- Repeat, making 4 rolls in all
- Bake at 400F (200C) for 12 – 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Combine ingredients for sauce in a small pan and heat to simmering.
- Cook slowly for 5 minutes.
- Remove rolls and serve with sauce
Yesterday I had the heater on in the bathroom.
Today we have all the windows open and I’m wearing sandals. The doors are open, the dogs are going in and out at will, and there are a lot of lizards minus tails.
We had our first salad of the season this weekend…. And the pizza rolls are the last of the phyllo fun until next fall.
My tomatoes are blue from being sprayed with Bouillie Bordelaise
It’s 9:15 and the sun is just setting.
We have hopes for summer.
Or at least serious spring.
3 thoughts on “Pizza Rolls”
Serious pizza rolls just right I’d say.
We have returned to the woods and serious greening so we have hopes for spring as well.
Oh the 60’s … never to be duplicated.
It is so wonderful when you can start to leave the doors wide open and sun and fresh air and warmth fill the house. Not so here just now, too hot- around 40 plus – to have doors open !!
Tanna, and soooo politically correct LOL
Oh, Kate, I don’t know if I could handle that much heat…. I hope the buildings are cooler
Comments are closed.