The recipes calls for whole asparagus, sliced.
I, of course, didn’t do it that way.
I sliced off a few inches of the asparagus I used for this recipe, to get them all nice and even…. Plus I used two more whole spears.
Like the people attending the Asparagus Festivals in Germany, we are happy to have asparagus for more than one course during the season.
We eat as much as we can in every way we can (as long as at least once a week it’s just buttered).
This was our first course salad.
White Asparagus Salad with Avocado, Cherry Tomato
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 small avocado
- 8 cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 6oz (180gr) white asparagus
- 2 tbs fresh, snipped chives
- 2 tbs fresh, snipped basil
- 1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp ketchup
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs good olive oil
- In a bowl, large enough to hold all of the ingredients, whisk mustard, ketchup and vinegar
- Slowly whisk in oil. Set aside.
- Cut off the woody ends of the asparagus.
- Lay asparagus flat and peel the entire length from just below the tip with a vegetable peeler. Peel until there are no stringy bits left. Cut into 1″ (2.5cm) lengths
- Fill a large saucepan half full of water and bring to a boil over high heat.
- When boiling, drop in asparagus and cook for 8 – 10 minutes, depending on size.Test after 8 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Spread them on paper towels and pat dry.
- Add to vinaigrette.
- To finish:
- Cut avocado into cubes; add to asparagus.
- Add tomatoes, herbs and stir gently. Serve.
Last year we bought a new lawn mower in May. We were given two years of interest-free financing, with no down payment, and told our first payment would be in June.
As is typical, the payments would be direct debit.
There was no payment taken in June.
Or July. Or August. Or September.
By October I was expecting 5 months of payments to disappear from our account.
In mid-October I received a payment notice. Our first, single, payment would be debited Nov. 5th.
We used the mower all summer long without paying a cent.
Six weeks ago we bought a new washer. We were offered three months interest-free financing with no down-payment.
We told them that we really needed a new dryer as well. (We had been planning on buying the dryer, the new washer was a surprise.)
The nice man that sold us the washer suggested that we get a store card, for the low cost of 15 euro. The card would entitle us to five months interest-free financing plus a gift card of 30 euro at Christmas.
Why would I not do that?
Sometimes, no, often, the logic defies me completely.
I said yes (of course).
It’s been six weeks.
I’ve been waiting for the card so I can get the dryer which we really need. Ours is only working intermittently and I end up hanging stuff over the fence.
Yesterday I got a letter in the mail saying that my card would be issued soon. But first I had to go on-line and choose my PIN.
I went on-line, registered, and chose my PIN.
Now I wait again…..
I hope I can get the dryer before November.
And I wonder when we’ll start paying for it……