Our mini-vacation is over.
We had a wonderful time playing tour guide and tourist for 4 days.
We had a wonderful time sampling a variety of wine (and, just perhaps, a wee bit too much) for 5 nights.
Our weather was perfect, the sunsets were beautiful and the dogs fairly well-behaved.
What more could one ask for?
We’re not quite switching to bread and water but I do foresee some salads in our near future.
Grilled Salmon on Fresh Spinach
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 salmon fillets, 6oz each (180gr each)
- 1/2 tsp coarse salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp minced tarragon leaves
- 1 tsp minced dill weed
- 3oz (90gr) fresh spinach, washed, dried if needed
- 1 tbs snipped fresh tarragon leaves
- 2 tbs snipped fresh marjoram leaves
- 2oz (60gr) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 tbs white Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tbs olive oil
- Sprinkle cumin, salt, dill and tarragon evenly over salmon.
- Cook on barbecue grill 12 – 15 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Put vinegar, mustard in a large bowl and whisk well.
- Slowly whisk in olive oil.
- Add spinach, herbs and toss well to coat.
- Add feta and toss gently.
- Divide spinach salad and arrange on two plates.
- Lay salmon on top and serve.
The first room that we (mon mari) tackled was the two bathroom rooms.
We wanted one bathroom room that was actually big enough to turn around in.
The interior wall came down, followed by the the doors and the walls into the hall.
They were all built with red bricks.
The wallpaper was stripped off and construction started.
Mon mari opted for sheet-rock rather than brick. Framing here is done with metal studs.
The door was hung and, finally, the toilet had a bit of privacy.
Once the walls were done the tile went up rather quickly.
We installed a sink unit from the DIY store and we had a bathroom.
The bathrooms had been installed where the front door had been and we originally left the stonework bare.
Because the room was rather small we used a clear wall for the shower.
Skip ahead a few years, after we finished our bathroom upstairs, and we decided to make it a bit nicer.
The top on the existing sink unit slanted to the sink… meaning anything round that was set on it rolled into the sink.
Besides, I didn’t like it.
Mon mari built a custom cabinet and we tiled the flat top.
We decided we didn’t like the bare stone so that was tiled.
And that is the finished ground floor bathroom.