Important Technical Information!
There has been a change to the RSS Feed and the Email Subscriptions.
Please see the end of the post for details.
I love gratins, especially when they’re topped with a sharp cheese.
Usually when I make a gratin the ingredients are melded together, either with multiple layers or stirred together before baking.
I decided on a different approach for this…..Primarily because I was feeling lazy and didn’t want to dirty another bowl.
I also thought that the egg mixture would seep through the rice as it baked.
Instead it turned into a cheesy custard on top of the rice, making a a third layer.
I think I discovered something new – and definitely delicious.
Basmati Rice and Chard Gratin
Total time: 50 minutes
- 1/2 cup (3.3oz, 95gr) Basmati Rice
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken stock
- 8oz (240gr) chard, stems and leaves
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs olive oil
- (3oz, 90gr) cheese, sliced or shredded I used white cheddar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90gr) Greek or plain yogurt
- 2 tbs milk
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- Cook rice in chicken stock until done, usually about 15
- Wash the chard and trim any bad bits. Stack the leaves together and fold over, the long way. Slice into thin strips, using both leaves and stems, but try to keep stems separate.
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Add onion, pepper, and chard stems; sauté until tender, about 7 minutes.
- Add the chard leaves and sauté until wilted. Remove from heat and stir in parsley.
- Whisk eggs, yogurt, mustard and milk together.
- To assemble:
- Spread chard / onion mixture in the bottom of a baking dish just large enough to hold everything.
- Spread rice evenly over the chard.
- Lay cheese on top of the rice.
- Pour egg mixture over the top and bake, uncovered, for 25 minutes, 400F (200C), until nicely browned and set.
- Remove and serve.
I have ugly tomatoes…. A lot of ugly tomatoes, actually.
I think it has to do with the growing conditions this summer: very hot, dry weather for weeks, followed by heavy rain, followed by very hot and dry again.
Or I am absolutely clueless about how to grow them properly.
Regardless…. They are very tasty and I have a lot of them.
I peeled and chopped this lot for the freezer – a bit over 8 pounds. I’ll be making colorful soups this winter.
Back to the technical difficulties…..
The last post didn’t go out as planned / scheduled to the email subscribers. I hope I have it fixed and this one works properly.
We’ll know tomorrow.
I’ll be doing the RSS feed redirect tomorrow. Again, I hope I don’t lose anyone.
The new RSS feed is: http://thymeforcookingblog.com/feed/
Copy and paste it into your reader or use the RSS icon – top right corner of the sidebar.
I hope it all works now.