One of the things I love about Grand Frais is the fresh, cleaned shrimp.
Admittedly, they’re fully cooked and, normally I prefer raw…. especially if I, I mean, mon mari
is cooking them on the gill.
But for a simple salad on a warm evening, fully cooked and ready to eat is perfect.
Plus I can always find a perfectly ripe avocado.
Shrimp, Avocado and Spinach Salad
Total time: 15 minutes
- 10oz (300gr) shrimp, cleaned, and cooked (see note)
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 2 tbs parsley, chopped
- 2 tbs chives, chopped
- 6oz (180gr) fresh spinach
- Tomato, Balsamic Vinaigrette:
- 2 tbs ketchup
- 2 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbs good olive
- Prepare spinach if needed and put into a large bowl.
- Add herbs to spinach.
- Add half of the vinaigrette to the spinach and toss will to combine.
- Dived the spinach between two plates.
- Arrange shrimp and avocado on spinach.
- Drizzle with a bit more vinaigrette and serve, and remaining vinaigrette on the side
- In a small bowl whisk together the ketchup, mustard and vinegar
- Slowly add olive oil, whisking constantly.
Note: If shrimp need to cooked, heat 2 tsp olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add shrimp, a squeeze of lemon juice and stir-fry quickly, just until they curl and turn opaque.
As much as I love Grand Frais and all the wonderful produce they have I do have one complaint.
Are you ready?
Their peaches and nectarines are too perfectly ripe.
I only do the shopping once a week. Most of the fruit I buy will keep well, usually having to be moved into the fridge about halfway through but still good.
It’s easy, of course, with apples and oranges but peaches are a bit more difficult. There is a point of perfect ripeness, after which they become over-ripe quickly.
I buy about 2 dozen each week. They’re too hard on Friday, perfect on Sunday and get put in the fridge on Monday.
When I buy them at Grand Frais they are verging on over-ripe by the time I get them home.
My fridge isn’t big enough to hole a week’s worth of over-the-top fruit.
But the shrimp are excellent.
And that’s all for this day.
I baked a cake earlier for our dinner party.
It fell apart.
I baked another cake.
I’ll finish the story next week…..
When I find out how it ends.