Day 2 of Pumpkins and Puppies Week
I grew these miniature pumpkins 2 years ago.
They were perfect single serving size and just demanded being stuffed.
If you don’t have miniature pumpkins growing in your own garden….
Or can’t find them at the local pumpkin patch, you could use small acorn or Delicata. If using either of those I would use one, cut in half and each half stuffed, serving two.
No cut little lids, though.
Baby Pumpkins Stuffed with Creamy Spinach
Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 tiny pumpkins
- 2oz (60gr) fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- 1 slice bacon, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- Cut the top 1/3 off each pumpkin. Scoop out the seeds
- Place bottoms, cut side down, on a baking sheet and bake, 400F (200C) oven, for 5 minutes.
- While pumpkins bake:
- Sauté the bacon and shallots in olive oil until both are crisp.
- Add paprika, spinach and sauté just until spinach wilts. Remove and set aside.
- Whisk egg and yogurt.
- Add spinach mixture and stir to combine.
- Remove pumpkins and spoon mixture into center, return the filled pumpkins to the oven and bake for 10 minutes
- Remove, add pumpkin tops, flesh side down, and bake for 15 minutes longer..
- Remove and serve with the tops.
This is momma Misty, patiently allowing all eight puppies to eat…. and climb all over her.
Misty was a lovely dog, but, sadly is not longer with us.
No one knows what happened.
She was on a walk with her human and the other dogs in the mountains, as usual. They all went racing up the side of the mountain, through the trees after a dear or fox or something, also as usual.
Only two came back.
Our friend and his friends searched for days but Misty was never found.