Pumpkins and Puppies Number 3: feeding frenzy with the big dogs.
I grew these miniature pumpkins 2 years ago.
They were perfect single serving size and just demanded being stuffed.
Mini Pumpkins Stuffed with Ham, Walnuts and Sage
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 tiny pumpkins
- 1.5oz (45gr) walnuts, broken in half
- 3 slices Prosciutto or other dry-cured ham, roughly chopped
- 10 – 12 fresh sage leaves, roughly chopped
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs maple syrup
- Cut the top 1/3 off each pumpkin. Scoop out the seeds
- Place tops and bottoms cut side down on a baking sheet and bake, 400F (200C) oven, for 15 minutes.
- While pumpkins bake:
- Sauté the ham and walnuts in butter for 5 minutes.
- Add sage and sauté 5 minutes longer..
- When pumpkins are ready fill with the stuffing, including all the butter.
- Divide maple syrup and drizzle over the top
- Return to the oven for 5 minutes, just to heat through.
- Remove and serve with the tops.
The first time we went back to visit our dogs ‘family’ was for the birthday party of our friend, 3 years ago.
After the food was all prepped I had the privilege of taking the treats outside for the pack.
From the left we have my 2, Bonnie & Guapa, great-uncle Panda, great-grandma Tippy, brother Ghengis and Mom, Misty (R.I.P)
As you can see, mine are the smallest of the lot.