Day 1 of Pumpkins and Puppies Week.
I grew these miniature pumpkins 2 years ago.
They were perfect single serving size and just demanded being stuffed.
Miniature Pumpkin, Stuffed with Mushrooms, Walnuts and Bacon
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 tiny pumpkins
- 3 medium shallots, sliced
- 3oz (90gr) mushrooms, sliced
- 1oz (30gr) walnuts
- 1 slice bacon or dry-cured ham
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- 2 tbs fresh sage
- 1 tsp paprika
- Cut the top 1/3 off each pumpkin. Scoop out the seeds
- Place tops and bottoms cut side down on a baking sheet and bake, 400F (200C) oven, for 15 minutes.
- While pumpkins bake:
- Sauté the bacon or ham and shallots in olive oil until both are crisp.Remove and keep warm.
- Sauté mushroom, walnuts, sage and paprika in butter until starting to brown.
- Add ham and shallots, stir well to combine.
- When pumpkins are ready fill with the stuffing and return the bottoms to the oven for 5 minutes, just to heat through.
- Remove and serve with the tops.
One more photo of the baby puppies…. with their first human, our friend, their breeder.
They had the run of his aerie on the warm days.
He told us he had to walk with a shuffle to avoid stepping on them as they were constantly running to him whenever he was outside.
They were happy to sleep under his chair while he read.