We love poached eggs.
Once I learned how easy it is to poach them we have them often.
It’s even easier if you poach them in advance.
Yes, you can poach eggs in advance, up to five days actually, which makes them both easy and impressive to do for a holiday brunch. Just poach them as usual, then quickly cool in cold water. Refrigerate the eggs, covered in cold water until needed. Gently reheat for 2 minutes in hot water.
Poached Eggs on Artichoke Bottoms
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 2 tbs white wine
- 2 strips dry-cured ham (Prosciutto)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 artichoke bottoms
- 2 eggs
- 2 tbs cider vinegar
- Sauté onion and pepper in 2 tsp olive oil until tender
- Add paprika, marjoram, tomato paste and wine. Simmer until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Sauté ham in 1 tsp olive oil until crisp. Keep warm until needed.
- Cook artichoke bottoms in boiling water until tender – time depends on whether they are canned or frozen
- To poach the eggs: fill a medium skillet with water. The water should be at least 1 1/2 inches deep.
- Heat water over medium-high heat. Add vinegar.
- When water is softly boiling poach eggs: one at a time break egg into a small saucer. Swirl a spoon in the water where you will put the egg – off to one side. When water is swirling drop egg into center. With slotted spoon try to keep the white together.
- With regular spoon scoop some hot water over tops of eggs. Poach for 2 – 4 minutes or until white is set but yolk is still very soft. (Or hard, as you like…)
- Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and allow to drain.
- To serve: spoon half of the peppers and onions onto two plates.Place an artichoke bottom in the center and spoon the remaining peppers / onions into artichoke.
- Top with a poached egg. Add ham to plates, sprinkle with salt, pepper and serve.
The lake is starting to take shape.
For two weeks they’ve been digging holes, hauling the dirt away, then bringing the dirt back and filling them in.
I have absolutely have no clue what they’re doing…. They obviously do and that’s all that matters.
You can see the far bank they’ve built up and leveled.
It’s going to be a deep lake.
Now I have to get back to the computers.
This is all taking FOREVER!