I know, I know….. I’m always saying that I don’t like ‘hot’ foods.
I really should be more specific: it’s heat from capsaicin that I don’t tolerate. The heat from mustard or horseradish I can handle perfectly well (as long as it’s not too hot).
I particularly like mustard with salmon, as long as the mustard isn’t overpowering.
In this sauce, the creamy yogurt takes a bit of the bite out of the mustard.
I used both mustard seeds and my standard French Maille Dijon.
Salmon with Mustard Sauce
Total time: 25 minutes
- 2 salmon fillets, 12oz (360gr) total weight
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) white wine
- 1 tbs mustard seeds
- 2 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90gr) Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add wine and mustard seeds and boil, uncovered for about 3 minutes. It should be reduced by about half.
- Add mustard, tarragon and stir well.
- Remove from heat.
- Remove 2 tbs for basting the salmon.
- Stir yogurt into the remaining sauce. Cover and keep warm.
- Put salmon on a baking sheet. Spread reserved mustard/wine sauce on top.
- Bake at 400 F for 10 – 15 minutes, until top is light brown and fish flakes easily. It’s okay if slightly translucent in the center.
- Serve with Mustard Sauce on the side.
And what, you ask, does Cilantro have to do with the recipe?
Nothing at all…..
Cilantro is an on-line cook’s shop that I did an interview with on French cooking / cooking in France a few weeks ago.
It’s part of their Expert Interview Program and you can read it here.
As to the site – it’s quite extensive with a Cook’s Store featuring all the equipment and gadgets to keep any cook happy as well as a Blog featuring interviews (like mine) articles, recipes, forums, and more.
I’d tell you more…. but I kind of got lost over there and spent a bit too much time reading and wandering around and drooling over new stuff.
Now I’m out of time – but go have a look.
No, they’re not paying me anything…. just a chance to have my name in the headlines for a day. And I’m happy to share when I find a new, good site.