This is an easy pantry soup – my favorite kind.
It goes together quickly with ingredients I always have on hand, either in the freezer or the pantry.
I think having a well-stocked pantry is a hold-over from living in the middle of nowhere in Minnesota where one could be house-bound for days in the winter.
Or maybe from living in the mountains in Andorra, for the same reason.
Actually, we had 3 inches of snow here in France 3 years ago and were stuck for a week (no plows, hill in shade, no desire to shovel the entire lane, etc.)
We had this as a first course – with a bit leftover for lunch the next day.
Lemon Chickpea Soup with Bulgur
Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 1/2 cups (15oz, 450gr) chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 1 1/2 cups (12oz, 360gr) whole tomatoes, with juices, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp dried parsley
- 2 cups (16oz, 480ml) chicken stock
- 1/3 cup (1.5oz, 45gr) bulgur
- 2 tbs fresh lemon juice (1/2 lemon)
- Sauté onion, garlic,in medium saucepan in olive oil over medium heat until tender, 5 – 7 minutes.
- Add spices and sauté briefly
- Add tomatoes, juices, chickpeas, chicken stock and parsley to pan.
- Cover and heat to boiling.
- Add bulgur and simmer until bulgur is tender, about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add lemon juice and serve.
We have water in the lake.
After a week of rain we had a brief interval of sunshine this morning so I took a photo.
It’s been amazing how fast it’s come up in the last week. But now that the deep end is filling up it will slow down.
What’s really strange is how fascinated I am by it….
Must be the rain.
I’ve mentioned in the past that our house is like an archaeological site. One never knows what’s going to slowly make it’s way to the surface.
I regularly find rusty, crusty knives, scissors, bottles, jars, pots, etc in the garden and, occasionally, working up through the grass in the lawn.
But sometimes I find stuff that isn’t coming up from under the ground. It’s just sitting on top.
I’ve found little bottles, a shoe, and yesterday, this pink thing.
It was just sitting on top of the grass.
I have no idea what it is….
It’s rubber and it’s a bit heavy.
It wasn’t there in the morning when I walked the dogs, but it was there in the afternoon…. Out in the middle of our field.
It’s too heavy for a bird to have carried and dropped.
It’s not possible for a human to have brought it.
It’s kind of big for another dog to have brought it – and we never see other dogs, anyway.
Mon mari says it fell out of a plane.
Could it have fallen off of a plane?
I have to start getting out more….