I get a huge amount of French spam through my French email address.
Every few months I take the time to unsubscribe to 90% of it. It disappears for a few days, then slowly, inexorably, it creeps back.
Maybe if I unsubscribed to 100% I might have more success but there is always one or two that look, well, interesting.
Like the recipe site I found this turkey dish on.
I’ve never thickened a pan sauce with egg yolk before.
My mother always thickened everything with flour. I’ve always used cornstarch (corn flour, maizena)
This was a new technique for me.
We were most pleased…. It made a very silky, light sauce and the whole dish was ready in less than 15 minutes.
It was also a rather yellow sauce – thanks to our bright egg yolks.
Turkey Cutlets with Mustard Sauce
Total time: 15 minutes
- 2 – 4 thin turkey cutlets, 12oz, (360gr)
- 2 tsp butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) white wine
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tsp tarragon
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) Greek or plain yogurt
- Cut turkey into manageable pieces if needed.
- Heat butter and oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey and sauté until lightly browned.
- Add mustard, tarragon, wine and stir well.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer until done, about 8 minutes.
- Uncover and remove turkey to a serving platter – cover to keep warm.
- Whisk together egg yolk and yogurt
- Add 2 tbs of hot wine mixture and whisk.
- Immediately add to skillet, stirring constantly until sauce thickens.
- Spoon over turkey and serve.
Well, we’re already two whole days into the new year and I am being besieged by Top Ten Lists.
There are Top Ten Desserts, Top Ten Drinks, Top Ten Posts, Top Ten Recipes, Top Ten Stupid Things I Did….
Maybe not that last one – but I would actually click and read that.
I really don’t have anything against Top Ten Lists per se…. But, for me, they’re a bit like the Facebook status that asks if anyone is listening: Too many people are doing it all at the same time.
I think I’ll write myself a note to do my Top Ten Worst Posts list next May 19th and see if anyone is paying attention.
Actually….. I can’t be bothered.
Actually….. I’m procrastinating because I have a lot of French homework to do for class and I haven’t started it. Two weeks off and I haven’t touched my homework, even knowing it’s going to take at least three hours to do it.
You’d think, at my age, a mature adult and all that, I would know better, wouldn’t you?
Some things never change.
Did I ever tell you about the time……..