I baked another cake.
If I’m not careful I’m going to ruin my reputation as a non-baker / non-dessert maker.
As long as the recipes are easy I can handle it…. Usually.
We won’t talk about the debacle with the Caramel Apple Cake last summer.
Since I seemed to be lucky with bundt-type cakes with fruit I decided to keep the same theme.
Besides, oranges are in season at the moment….
We were most pleased…..
Orange Cake with Orange Glaze
Total time: 80 minutes
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) buttermilk or fermented milk
- zest from 5 oranges
- 1/3 cup (2.7oz, 85ml) fresh orange juice
- 5 large eggs
- 1 cup (8oz, 240gr) butter
- 2 cups (14oz, 420gr) sugar
- 3 cups (13 1/2oz,405gr) flour
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Orange Glaze:
- 2 cups (4oz, 120gr) powdered sugar
- zest of 2 oranges
- 2 tbs fresh orange juice
- Butter and flour a 10″ (25cm) tube pan
- Preheat oven to 350F (175C)
- Combine buttermilk, orange zest and orange juice
- Combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy..
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg.
- Add wet ingredients and dry ingredients, half at a time, alternating, mixing on low.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake, 50 – 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes away clean. Start testing after 50 minutes. Mine was done at 50 minutes.
- Remove and cool for an hour then remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk orange juice and powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over cake and allow to dry for at least 30 minutes.
- Slice and serve.
I made it on Friday and served it on Saturday, It was moist with a very intense fresh orange flavor.
I sectioned 2 of the ‘zested’ oranges for use as a garnish and served it with vanilla ice cream.
If I keep this up I’m going to have to start a dessert category on this blog……
For the rest of the dinner I made:
- Tunisian Soup with Bird Tongues
- Tagine of Lamb and Olives
- Saffron Potatoes
- Moroccan Roasted Vegetables
- Assorted Cheeses
- Orange Cake
The roasted vegetables were so good I’m planning on making them again this week just so I can take a photo and post the recipe…. Watch this space.