I love lentils…. All kinds. I often make them just to have on hand for my lunch.
Mon mari tolerates lentils. If they are a bit spicy, and he has hot sauce on the side he eats them.
Just not too often.
This stew suited both of us.
He was happy with it for dinner and there were enough leftover lentils for me to have for lunch.
After my debacle with the bean soup I decided to cook this for 9 hours. I tasted them after 8 and they were done. We weren’t ready for dinner so they cooked an extra hour with no ill effects.
Slow Cooker Pork and Lentil Stew
Total time: 9 hours
- 2 pork chops, boneless, cut in half or thirds
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2/3 cup green lentils, (du Puy) or regular tan or brown lentils
- 1/3 cup beluga lentils (tiny black lentils) or more of the other
- 1 cup tomatoes, chopped, with juices
- 2 cups (16oz, 480ml) chicken stock more if needed
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add pork and brown on both sides.
- Put everything into the slow cooker, add pork and stir to combine.
- Cook on low heat for 8 – 9 hours.
- Check after about 7 hours and add more stock or water if all the liquid has been absorbed by the lentils. I didn’t need to.
In our first house in France I had flowers.
In all honesty, I planted very few of them. Most were on the property when we bought it as the previous owners were avid gardeners. To give you an idea: there were over a hundred rose bushes. half in a single rose garden and the rest scattered about.
We had two dogs but the the fenced in area was huge and they left the gardens, flower and herb, alone.
I had beautiful, tall tulips in the spring….
I was able to plan colors and seasons…..
Here the best I can do is stick a few bulbs outside the fence and hope the bunnies don’t get them. (We had fox where we lived before, thus very few bunnies.
Maybe, now that there all of five years old, I might try having a garden inside the fence again.