We eat a lot of grilled chicken in the summer, specifically thighs and legs. In the winter it’s oven-fried. We have it at least once a week and mon mari would be even happier if it was more often.
I like more variety.
And I like variety in my grilled chicken.
Sometimes it’s simple with just a quick dry rub; sometimes I make traditional barbecue sauce or oyster barbecue sauce.
One of my favorites is Chicken with Lemon and Herbs, which has big handfuls of 6 or 7 different herbs, chopped, mixed with lemon and oil and tucked under the skin. It’s a bit fussy to make.
This Lemon Rosemary Grilled Chicken, on the other hand, is quick and easy to put together. The long marinating time in the bag really gets the flavors soaked in. Get as much air out of the bag as possible and massage the marinade into the chicken a few times while it marinates
Lemon, Rosemary Grilled Chicken
Total time: 60 minutes plus 4 plus hours marinating time
- 3 chicken thighs
- 3 chicken legs
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbs dried shallots or dried onions substitute 2 tbs finely chopped of either
- 2 tbs finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- Put lemon juice, oil, shallots, rosemary and salt in a bowl and whisk well. It will emulsify.
- Put chicken in a sturdy food bag and pour lemon mixture over the top.
- Seal bag and, carefully, work marinade all over the chicken pieces, making certain they are all well-coated.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight. Turn bag over and fuss with the pieces once or twice
- Cook on barbecue grill for 30 – 45 minutes.
- Baste with the sauce once or twice, but stop 10 minutes before it’s finished to allow sauce to cook.
- Chicken is done at 170F (76C) or when juices run clear – poke with a skewer or knife. Thighs and legs take a bit longer than breasts. Try not to overcook. Start it over direct heat, but watch carefully – the oil will cause flair-ups. Once it gets some nice color/flavor move it to indirect heat, close cover and let finish cooking.
Speaking of herbs…..
My herbs are finally starting to grow, but they’re not all big enough yet to make my traditional Lemon and Herb Chicken.
We’ve finally had some warm weather.
Monday I was keeping the doors closed, trying to keep the inside of the house warm. It was in the mid-60’s F (18C).
Wednesday I was keeping the doors closed, trying to keep the inside of the house cool. It was in the low 90’s F (33C).
Everything in the potager loved the heat:
I could almost see the tomatoes and the corm stretching up to the sky.
And don’t we have a lot of lovely lettuce – that should last another week, maybe two for the Romaine.
Summer may have finally arrived.
Now I have to start watering…..
6 thoughts on “Lemon, Rosemary Grilled Chicken”
mid 40s here – Celsius !!!
Two days ago, it was 68. Today it will be 85 and by Sunday, 95…I feel your ‘pain’ 😉
Is that the lake I can see, beyond your herb garden? I would love to have a view like that. How nice of the farmer to do that for you 🙂
Kate, Ouch! Too hot!!!!
nightsmusic, yes that is the lake….. It really has enhanced our view. He’s a nice young farmer with a new baby!
Have first flowers on the tomato plants. Some of the seeds you sent did not sprout. Will try again.
All of mine sprouted but I had to try twice with two of them. Just now getting some flowers…. such a slow start to summer this year.
Comments are closed.