This is it…. The last salad of the season.
We’ve had a good crop of lettuces this year and have been eating salads almost non-stop for over a month. But all things must end and this is the end of our salads.
To be honest I’m getting very tired and picking and washing lettuce every day.
It has to be washed – not because it’s the least bit dirty or has any chemicals on it but because we share our lettuce with the critters of the potager.
Nothing more unsettling then having a ‘crunch’ when one is chewing where no crunch ought to be…..
The best part about this salad, for those of you experiencing, or about to experience, the heat-wave….. It’s a complete meal in a bowl with no cooking required.
Ham, Bean, & Avocado Salad
Total time: 20 minutes
- 8oz (240gr) ham, cut into cubes
- 2oz (60gr) white cheddar or other cheese cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 cup (10oz, 300gr) white beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup (3oz, 90gr) cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 avocado, sliced, slices cut in half
- handful fresh basil
- enough lettuce for 2 main dish salads
- 1 1/2 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tbs white Balsamic vinegar
- 4 tbs good olive oil
- Prepare lettuce, tear and put into a large salad bowl.
- Add basil leaves to lettuce.
- Make vinaigrette: Whisk mustard and vinegar
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil, whisking constantly
- Add half the vinaigrette to the lettuce and toss well to combine.
- Add remaining ingredients to lettuce, along with remaining vinaigrette.
- Toss gently once or twice to combine and serve.
It’s a very sad day here in France, after the terrible attack in Nice. What a horrific ending to the French National Day of families having picnics, watching parades and finishing with the much loved fireworks display.
I have no words…..
So I’ll leave you with some soothing photos of our bike ride along the canal this week.
It was so tranquil…..
Except for one spot where we saw a couple in a racing shell and another on bikes.
One could almost pretend we live in a peaceful world….