I have always loved green beans. They are easily my favorite summer vegetable.
I especially loved the way my other fixed them. (Warning: unhealthy food disclosure to follow.)
First she fried a finely chopped onion in bacon fat. Knowing my mother it was probably a lot of bacon fat.
Then she added the beans (a lot of beans), chopped raw bacon (a lot of bacon), and enough water to just cover it all. She covered the pan and cooked it over low heat for an hour or so.
She liked her beans well done….
She finished them off with a generous pour of heavy cream and
Wait for it….
6 or 7 thick slices of Velveeta. (Do they still make Velveeta?)
I loved every bean and every drop of sauce.
I also loved these…. heretical as they are.
I used both green and purple beans. The purple beans turn green when cooked, but they are darker than the regular green beans. The taste is the same…..
And they are so pretty in the garden.
I used the rest of the jar of pimientos from the Zucchini Gratin.
Summer Beans with Pimiento
Total time: 25 minutes
- 8oz (240gr) green and / or purple beans, trimmed and cut
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 shallots, chopped
- 1/2 whole pimiento, chopped (about 3oz, 90gr)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 tsp butter
- Heat butter and olive oil in a small – medium skillet.
- Add garlic, shallots and sauté 5 minutes, until shallots are tender.
- Add beans, pimiento, cover and braise over medium-low heat until beans are tender, stirring occasionally, 15 – 20 minutes.
- Put into a bowl and serve.
To erase the thoughts of Velveeta I will leave you with a soothing photo of mon mari’s well and flowers:
It’s all looking rather colorful at the moment.