I love lentils of all types: little French green lentils; traditional brown or tan lentils; the pretty red lentils that cook down to the consistency of a puree; and the tiny black Beluga lentils that (supposedly) resemble caviar.
I love them in soup, as a vegetable and cold, in salads.
Mon mari likes them in smaller doses…..
Which is fine with me – I get the leftovers.
Mon mari does love warm goat cheese so there was something for both of us in this salad
Beluga Lentil Salad, Warm Goat Cheese
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1/3 cup Beluga or other lentils
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) beef stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup celery, roughly chopped
- 2 medium shallots, chopped
- 3oz (90gr) goat cheese, with rind
- 3 tbs bread crumbs
- 3 tbs olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbs salad olive oil
- Rinse and pick through lentils (in case quality control missed the odd stone).
- Put in a small saucepan along with stock and water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and cook until done – about 25 minutes. Taste to determine when done.
- While lentils cook heat 1 tbs olive oil in a skillet.
- Add shallots and fry until tender.
- Add celery and fry a minute or 2 longer, leaving the celery crunchy. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together mustard, vinegar, and salad olive oil. Set aside..
- Slice cheese into 6 rounds. Each round should be between 1/4 and 1/3″ (.75 – 1cm) thick.
- Put bread crumbs onto 1 plate and 2 tbs olive oil onto another plate
- Dip both sides of cheese slices in the oil, then the crumbs and place on a nonstick baking sheet.
- When lentils are done drain any excess cooking liquid and add to bowl with dressing.
- Add shallots / celery and stir to combine.
- Put goat cheese into a pre-heated oven, 400F (200C) for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Divide lentil salad onto 2 plates.
- When cheese is lightly brown and starting to sag in the center, remove, arrange on lentils and serve.
I’m bored and I have nothing to say….
So, I thought I’d check out the MSN homepage to see what’s up…. Catch up on the days events and such.
Way back in the beginning of time I used to have MSN as my internet homepage and got most of my news updates there during the day.
I hadn’t realized until tonight that they no longer do news.
Among the many things I could learn if I choose to peruse all of the information available are:
Bill Murray will tend bar this weekend. (and I should care?)
Jimmy Fallon mussed Donald Trump’s hair. (Ewww…… He touched it!)
Amelia Earhart may not have died in a plane crash (but she’s still dead, right?)
Five reason why everyone should learn French (I’ve got that one covered…..)
The best way to load a washing machine (Oh, please….. do we have to have instructions on that, too?!?)
Trump admits Obama was born in US (Good grief….. That’s news? People actually have to be told?)
50 guacamole recipes (How many ways can you mash an avocado?)
15 ways to use the back of your cabinet doors (Someone is getting desperate for attention)
It reminds me of my mother’s Good Housekeeping magazines. They surely don’t pretend that it’s news, right?
Please tell me people don’t think that stuff is newsworthy.
And I thought I needed to get a life….