For 5 days i did relatively nothing.
I walked dogs a few times each day, I cooked dinner, I tidied up the kitchen, and the rest of the time I sat.
I took a knitting project with me (I always take a project of some sort with me). I’m half through something that I expected to take me at least a month.
I have been busy every second since we’ve been home…..
Partly because while I was knitting I was making mental lists of all the things I need / want to do and partly because it’s fall and there is always a lot to do this time of year.
One of those things is harvesting the rest of the winter squash – and eating them.
You could add cooked rice or quinoa to this. I didn’t because they were quite big.
Golden Acorn Squash Stuffed with Spicy Beef
Total time: 60 minutes
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 6oz (180gr mince) ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red pepper, chopped
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp minced fresh ginger or 1/4 tsp powdered
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp za’atar
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) beef stock
- 1/2 tbs cornstarch (corn flour, maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- Cut squash in half and scoop out seeds. Either place face down on tray and microwave for 10 – 12 minutes or put into a baking dish, cover with foil and bake in 400F (200C) oven for 40 minutes.
- While squash cooks
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, mushrooms, and pepper 5 minutes then add garlic and ginger.
- Sauté 5 minutes longer or until onion is tender and starting to brown.
- Add cumin, paprika, beef and sauté, breaking beef up as it browns.
- Add za’atar, Worcestershire, beef stock and stir well to combine.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water.
- When beef mixture is simmering stir cornstarch in, a little at a time. (You may not need it all). You want it quite thick but not paste. Set aside.
- When squash are ready (they should be almost done) remove from wherever they cooked and fill with the beef mixture.
- Bake uncovered for 10 – 15 minutes, until bubbling and hot.
- Remove and serve.
So….. Why was I sitting and knitting?
Because mon mari and our friend were having a sports marathon.
I knew that ahead of time which was why I was knitting. It allowed me to be sociable and pretend to be interested without being bored out of my mind.
This is me watching the Ryder Cup. I’m in the chair in the corner, behind mon mari and Baloo.
If you look closely you can see Marina underneath Baloo.
Actually, I enjoy watching the Ryder Cup…. When I can see it.
The TV room is rather small, especially when filled with dogs. And the dogs wanted to be with the people, naturally.
In addition to the golf we watched the Formula One race in Malaysia.
That’s my dog’s back. She’s either protecting me from the big puppy or begging me to protect her from the little puppy.
In addition to golf and car racing I also got to watch horse racing.
I wasn’t interested in that, either.
To top off the 5 days we watched a bit of test cricket.
Even Baloo and Bonnie were bored with that….
Did I mention that our friend is a bit of a sports enthusiast?
I got to watch the news one morning.
It was all relaxing, in a strange way.
Oh yes…. We did take one day to drive down into wine country.
Without the dogs.