I could live on stews.
Well, maybe soups and stews.
Okay, pastas, risottos, soups, and stews and only in the winter but you get the idea.
When I was single I cooked on the weekend for myself, making soups and stews for the freezer. After a few weeks I had a variety of mid-week dinners just waiting to be heated.
Now any leftovers end up as mon mari’s lunch….
I didn’t put potatoes in this stew as I don’t always want them. Sometimes I just cook one for mon mari who always wants one….
If you want to add them, just cut into pieces and add with the carrots.
I used boneless pork chops, but any cut of lean pork would work.
I did not brown the pork.
I was lazy.
It was good.
Slow Cooker Pork Stew
Total time: 7 hours 30 minutes
- 2 boneless pork chops, 12oz (360gr) total weight, cut into thirds
- 3 carrots. peeled, cut into pieces
- 1 onion, cut into wedges
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup (6oz, 180gr) peas, frozen, no sauce
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms, cleaned, sliced
- 2 tbs dried celery leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups (12oz, 360gr) chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) beef stock
- 1 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 2 tbs water, if desired
- Add food to the slow cooker as follows: onion wedges, pork, carrots, garlic, mushrooms, peas, tomatoes with juices.
- Mix herbs, spices and beef stock. Pour over the top.
- Cover, cook, low setting, for 7 hours
- Dissolve cornstarch in water.
- Uncover, add cornstarch and stir as best you can.
- Cover and cook 10 – 15 minutes longer. Serve.
Do you ever have one of those days?
You know the kind…. Great intentions to accomplish many things, leap tall buildings in a single bound, reverse climate change, etc?
Those were my intentions on my pre-dawn walk with the dogs.
Instead, I spent the day roaming my Amazon Wish List; purely by accident, of course. I don’t even remember how I got there.
I saw a book I added 3 years ago and wondered if the author had anything new…. off to search. Yup, 1 new one, both on sale on marketplace, both ordered.
I saw a book I added 3 years ago and wondered why on earth I added it…. off to check it out. I have no idea why I thought I would like it so I deleted it.
Same with the next five.
I found a few that I had ordered but forgot to delete from the wish list.
I saw a few great cookbooks and wondered why I never ordered them…. I turned around to look at all the cookbooks on the shelves behind me. Then I looked the potential new cookbooks up and read the reviews. I left them on my list.
Again…. you get the idea. That’s how a day slips away.
Actually, it was a pretty good way to spend another cold, gray, damp, foggy day.
Maybe tomorrow I can accomplish great things.