I made another cake.
Which, of course, means we had another dinner party because that is the only time I bake cakes.
I think I have found my niche as far as cakes are concerned: fruit and bundt pan.
In another life my specialty was Devil’s Food Layer Cake with Fudge Frosting but I am no longer going to subject myself to that much stress.
Besides, I’ve learned that I can have both my cake and my chocolate, too.
And I can never resist beautiful, fresh fruit.
Strawberry Yogurt Cake with Strawberry Sauce
T Total time: 90 minutes
- 1 cup (8oz, 240gr) butter
- 2 cups (14oz, 420gr) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups (11oz,3755gr) flour, divided
- 3 tbs fresh lemon juice, divided
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 8oz (240gr) Greek yogurt
- 12oz (360gr) fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 cup (2oz, 60gr) powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup almond flakes
- Strawberry Sauce
- 3 cups strawberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 1/2 tsp Balsamic vinegar
- Butter and flour a 10″ (25cm) tube pan
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C)
- Combine 2 1/4 cups flour, baking soda, lemon zest and salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy..
- Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each egg. Add 1 tbs lemon juice
- Add dry ingredients and yogurt, half at a time, alternating, mixing on low.
- Toss the strawberries with the remaining 1/4 cup flour. Gently fold into batter.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Put the cake into the oven and reduce the temperature to 325F (165C).
- Bake, 60 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes away clean. Start testing after 55 minutes. Mine was done at 60 minutes.
- Remove and cool for an hour then remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk remaining 2 tbs lemon juice and powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over cake.
- Top with almond flakes
- Strawberry Sauce:
- Mash 1 cup of strawberries.
- Put into a saucepan along with water. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a soft boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain liquid into a bowl, pressing on pulp.
- Discard pulp
- Put sugar and cornstarch into saucepan and stir to combine.
- Put on heat and add 1/2 cup of strawberry liquid (add water if needed), stirring constantly until clear and thickened.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Quarter remaining 2 cups of strawberries and stir into sauce.
- Serve with cake (or on ice cream)
I was going to be a good blogger and give the link to the original recipe…. but I apparently deleted the bookmark.
So I did a search on strawberry yogurt cake in order ti find it. It would appear that everybody and their cousin has made this cake and posted the recipe. It’s late and I will search no further (sorry).
I do understand why it’s so popular…. It’s incredibly moist, delicious, easy and perfect for spring. The Strawberry Sauce is my own addition. There were just so many strawberries at the market….
When I first started looking for a cake that used strawberries I saw a beautiful cake on Pinterest.
It was a very short ingredient list: 1 cake mix; 1 box strawberry-flavored jello.
Someone posted this as a recipe?
I think I might have used a cake mix when I was in high school….
We don’t have cake mixes here, nor do we have flavored jello.
However, we do have yogurt cakes… but that’s another story.