Baked beans are not something that one finds on this side of the pond.
We have some great bean dishes: Cassoulet, and Mogettes de Vendee, but nothing like the traditional Boston Baked Beans. (I made them once, for a French community picnic…. A few people were brave enough to take a forkful, but that was it).
We also don’t have the variety of canned ‘Pork & Beans’ available in US supermarkets. If I remember correctly some were bland but others, like Chili Beans, were quite good.
The British equivalent of the beloved American Mac & Cheese is Beans on Toast – as in warmed beans in tomato sauce on toasted bread.
No, I don’t understand it either…..
The part I really don’t understand is that the only canned ‘beans’ we can get here are Heinz Beans in Tomato Sauce, which the British love and I find almost completely tasteless.
They have a rather watery tomato sauce that I drain off and toss.
All that being said this is more of an idea than a recipe…. This is how I do it. No need to combine anything, it all comes together when cooked. Add hot sauce to taste when eating…..
Burgers and Beans
Total time: 30 minutes
- 12oz (360gr) ground beef
- 1 large onion, preferably red or sweet
- 1 can barbecue or baked beans or ‘beans in tomato sauce’
- 4 tbs ketchup
- 4 tsp Dijon-style mustard
- aluminum foil
- Tear off 4 squares of foil (1 1/2 times as long as the box is wide).
- Cut onion into 8 thin slices and put one slice in the center of each foil square.
- Divide ground beef into fourths, patty and place a patty on top of each onion slice.
- Top with another onion slice.
- Spoon beans on top of burger patties dividing evenly.
- Put mustard and ketchup on top of beans – dividing evenly.
- Bring long ends of foil together and fold over.
Fold in sides, loosely.
- We cook them on the gas grill for about 15 minutes but you can cook them in the oven – 400F for 25 minutes. When done – unwrap and put on plates. Serve with rice, quinoa or, (as I did) barley.
Last night the birds came to eat the figs. The noise was, as usual, deafening.
In retrospect the weight of the birds might have brought down the tree as well.
Mon mari blames it on the rabbits digging in the bank.
If you look on the right you can see the fence around the herb garden where I was working.
During the day it hums with bees; in the evening it’s alive with birds.
Nature taking care of itself.