My mother baked cakes.
She baked wedding cakes and groom’s cakes and birthday cakes.
Birthday cakes were always Angel Food.
I tried to explain Angel Food Cakes to a Belgian friend. It was a bit difficult as I have never made one and Europeans don’t have cakes as such, like Americans do. Cakes here are more like fruitcakes in the US…
Here is me with the typical Angel Food Birthday Cake:
I like Angel Food Cakes…. They’re lovely.
But I love dark chocolate cakes. When I was finally old enough to be consulted on my birthday cake (and listened to) I asked for a Devil’s Food Layer Cake with Chocolate Fudge Frosting.
My mother was justifiably famous for her Devil’s Food Cake.
There are no photos of me on my subsequent birthdays with my beloved Devil’s Food Cake. My mother could not bring herself to decorate a dark brown cake.
It was my birthday a few weeks ago.
We had a dinner party.
This recipe is based on this Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Mocha Bundt Cake with Chocolate Mocha Glaze
Total time: 90 minutes
- 2 cups (9oz,270gr) flour
- 1 cup (3.5oz, 100gr) pure cocoa
- 2 cups sugar (7oz, 200gr)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup (8oz (240gr) butter, softened
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup (3oz, 90ml) very strong coffee or espresso, cool
- 2/3 cup (5oz, 240ml) milk
- Chocolate Mocha Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups (6.6oz 190gr), powdered (icing) sugar
- 3 tbs pure cocoa
- 3 tbs very strong coffee or espresso, cool
- Butter and flour a 10″ (25cm) tube / bundt pan
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C)
- Combine flour,cocoa, baking soda, and salt
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy..
- Add eggs, egg whites and beat well. Add vanilla.
- Combine coffee and milk.
- Add dry ingredients and coffee/milk, half at a time, alternating, mixing on low.
- Pour into prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake, 40 – 50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into cake comes away clean. Mine was done at 45 minutes.
- Remove and cool for 20 minutes, then remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
- Whisk powdered sugar, cocoa and coffee until smooth.
- Spoon onto cake, spreading as needed. It’s thick and dries fairly quickly.
- Slice and serve – with ice cream, of course
Has Instagram taken conspicuous consumption to new heights?
It used to be that people didn’t flaunt what they had…. Unless it was fake or ridiculous. I never could understand why anyone would pay so much money for a bag made of plasticized cotton just because it had an LV on it. I much prefer good leather….
I digress – again.
Back when I was gainfully employed and had disposable income I would occasionally splurge on such folderol.
But I didn’t go around telling everyone to look at my #lokiscarf.
That would have been such bad form.
I knew what it was and that was enough. If someone else recognized my #lokiscarf they might say: What a pretty scarf! I’ve always loved their fabrics.
That would let me know that they recognized it as a #lokiscarf and they would know that I knew they recognized it.
At no time was the brand Loki mentioned.
For the confused among you….. Hermes was the Greek messenger god; Loki was the Norse god of mischief. If I have to explain further you are doing a wonderful job of insulating yourself from inconsequential news.
Now, it appears that every item of clothing, as long as it’s designer and expensive, must be identified in every photo with the ubiquitous hashtag.
Why would people want to be so crass?
I would assume that if one is dressed top to toes in designer duds one does not need to troll for advertising revenue.
That would leave the other obvious conclusion…. one is just an arrogant braggart.