We haven’t lit a fire in the kitchen stove yet but we have been using the oven.
Pizzas, quiches and oven dinners all contribute just a little bit of needed warmth after the sun goes down – which is getting rather too early for my taste.
This was so quick and easy to get in the oven that I decided it should have a sauce.
This is similar to the sauce I make for Veal Saltimbocca just without the added flavors if sage and Prosciutto.
Roast Pork, Fall Vegetables
Total time: 50 minutes
- 1 pork tenderloin,12oz (360gr)
- 2 medium potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 golden acorn squash, cut in half, cleaned, sliced
- 5 shallots, peeled, left whole
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1’2 tsp paprika
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) beef stock
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) Madeira
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs maizena (cornstarch) dissolved in 2 tbs water
- Trim tenderloin if needed, but leave whole.
- In large bowl mix oil, salt and paprika.
- Add potatoes, squash and toss to coat.
- Spread the potatoes and squash out in a baking dish large enough to hold everything easily.
- Coat tenderloin with remaining oil mixture and place in center of pan, with vegetables around it.
- Bake, uncovered, in 400F (200C) oven for 35 minutes, stirring and turning everything once.
- Remove, loosely cover with foil and let rest 5 minutes.
- When ready, slice pork, arrange with vegetables and serve, sauce on the side.
- Sauce: Bring stock and Madeira to a boil in a small saucepan. Simmer uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and stir well,
- Add cornstarch mixture and stir until thickened.
- Remove from heat and keep warm until needed.
I may have mentioned that my potager has been weird this season….
I have had several instances of conjoined tomatoes…..
And one of conjoined acorn squash:
It was a pretty, heart shape.
The stem had grown together as well as the squash.
When I cut into it along the ‘join’ it was solid.
But each side was hollow and filled with seeds.
Nature is truly mysterious and wonderful…. And, in this case, delicious.
Why do so many humans think they need to master it and make it behave in ways that conform to preconceived beliefs?
‘There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy’.