The other day I was doing the shopping list and realized that I had both eggs and tomatoes (among other things) that needed to be used rather quickly.
I decided I needed something new and interesting…. so I googled it.
I don’t know what subsequent pages had to offer but the entire first page was taken up with ‘Chinese Eggs with Tomato Ginger Sauce’.
As luck would have it I had a piece of ginger languishing in a basket as well.
Thus are recipes born….
As usual, I had to modify it as the recipes I looked at were for main courses being served over rice for 4 or 6 people.
I wanted a first course for 2 people.
But the idea was there and we were both quite pleased with the results…. But I think I will double the ginger next time.
Scrambled Eggs with Ginger Tomato Sauce
Total time: 25 minutes
- 3 eggs
- 2 medium or 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 tbs finely chopped fresh ginger
- 1 tsp sesame or walnut oil
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp maizena (cornstarch) mixed with 2 tsp ketchup
- Fry shallot in oils in a small nonstick skillet until tender.
- Whisk eggs well. Add to shallots and fry briefly, breaking up with a spatula.
- Remove eggs when almost, but not completely, cooked. Put into a bowl and set aside.
- Add ginger and tomatoes to skillet and cook until tomato starts to break down and form a sauce, 7 – 10 minutes..
- Stir in cornstarch / ketchup mixture and cook until thickened.
- Return eggs to skillet, breaking up any large portions and gently fold into sauce.
- When heated through, serve.
That’s all for today…. I’m sick and tired.
No, that is not going to be followed by a prepositional phrase. It’s a simple statement of fact.
I have a bad cold and went for a long bike ride today.
In my defense, my colds have always been short but intense. As this was Day 3 I cleared myself for exercise.
As it was a beautiful day a bike ride seemed in order. Besides, we couldn’t go tomorrow as that is my 12K walk day….
It seemed like a good idea at the time.
3 thoughts on “Scrambled Eggs with Ginger Tomato Sauce”
Thus are recipes born and this looks excellent.
Hope the bike ride was a positive by the next day.
This is an interesting combination for eggs – I would have never thought to put these ingredients together, bet it was yummy!
Tanna, I think it cured it lol.
Ina, I wouldn’t have either….. but it worked
Comments are closed.