We did not have turkey yesterday.
In case you’re wondering, France does not celebrate Thanksgiving.
Neither does the rest of Europe.
We do, however, eat turkey….. Just not usually in the form of a big hulking bird that may or may not have been cooked properly.
Basically – we skip right to the leftover stage.
I’ve always loved the leftover turkey… so many possibilities!
For those of you who actually have the remains of a big bird you can do this with leftovers.
Total time: 30 minutes
- 12oz (360gr) turkey cutlets, cut into pieces
- 3 medium shallots, peeled, quartered
- 4oz (120gr) mushrooms, trimmed, sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 3/4 cup (6oz, 180ml) chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (2oz, 60ml) dry sherry
- 1 tbs cornstarch (maizena) dissolved in 1 tbs water
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) Greek yogurt, plain yogurt or sour cream
- 1/2 cup Basmati rice
- 1 cup (8oz, 240ml) chicken broth
- Cook rice in chicken broth until done, about 16 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet and sauté shallots for 5 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, turkey and sauté until shallots are tender, about 10 minutes longer.
- Add chicken broth, sherry, mustard, paprika, to skillet, cover and simmer 5 – 7 minutes.
- Dissolve cornstarch in water and stir into pan. Continue stirring until quite thick.
- Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
- Put rice on a platter, spoon stroganoff over and serve.
Now that fall is almost over and the holiday season is almost upon us – here are the last few photos of our bike rides along the canal.
There are several marinas along the canal but this one is the biggest and also does boat repair.
As you can see there are some boats in serious need of maintenance…..
It’s a busy spot with sailboats, cruisers and canal boats all tied together, with some in dry-dock for repair.
The area where the work is done is wider than the canal itself. The above photo was taken from the same spot but in the opposite direction. The white post is the where boats can hook-up for power or fresh water.
And with that – it’s au revoir to the canal until spring.
2 thoughts on “Turkey Stroganoff; au revoir – to the canal”
Mmmm I love leftovers !
Especially the easy part 😉
Comments are closed.