France may be the home to over 500 cheeses but I don’t often see any that are smoked.
Maybe it’s because the preference seems to be for soft cheeses….
The other day, at my favorite Grand Frais, I found a Corsican smoked sheep’s milk cheese.
Naturally, I bought some.
After nibbling on it for a few days I decided to use some in a quiche (rainy day).
Naturally, I used my sheep’s milk Greek yogurt.
In case any of you are curious as to what my shredded potato crust looks like – I decided to take a photo. (That’s the smoked cheese in the corner.)
After baking, of course.
Sausage and Tomato Quiche
Total time: 65 minutes
- 2 medium potatoes, 12oz (360gr) total, shredded (not peeled)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp celery salt
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 10oz (300gr) sausage, bulk or removed from casing
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced, slices cut in half
- 3 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 3oz (90gr) cheese, smoked if available, sliced
- 1/3 cup green olives, sliced
- 1 tbs olive oil, plus a bit for the dish
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120ml) milk
- 1/2 cup (4oz, 120gr) Greek yogurt
- Mix shredded potato, salt and egg.
- Pat into a lightly oiled quiche or 10″ (25cm) pie plate, working it up the sides a bit for the edges.
- Bake in 400F (200C) oven for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a skillet.
- Add onion, pepper, and sauté 5 minutes
- Add sausage and brown, breaking it up as it cooks. If it’s very fatty, drain before using in quiche
- Whisk together 3 eggs, mustard, milk, and yogurt.
- To assemble:
- Arrange tomatoes over the baked crust.
- Top with sausage mixture, spreading out evenly.
- Sprinkle with green olives and top with cheese.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over all.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until center has set.
- Remove and let rest 5 minutes. Slice and serve.
We’ve had dry, sunny, warm weather recently so work has, once again, moved forward on the pool.
The ‘flying buttresses’ on either side have been cemented in, everything is level, and the footers and frame for the ends have been laid out.
Did I mention that the YouTube videos say that one can assemble the pool, start to finish in two days?
Perhaps, they have more people working on it.
And it’s not located in a water-logged, clay, former farm field.
Progress is being made…. We are pleased