One cannot live on summer squash alone.
Sometimes, one just needs to be able to open a can and call it dinner…. sort of.
Besides, chickpeas, and all the other legumes, are good for us and should be included in our diet periodically (she says, self-righteously).
And easy… We like easy.
The only real disadvantage of having a potager and eating what I grow is our diet can become rather narrow at certain times of the year. At the moment it’s summer squashes and green beans and tomatoes. In another month it will be summer squashes and winter squashes, followed by just winter squashes.
I try to break out of the rut occasionally.
I list flank steak in the recipe because that is what I would use in the US. We actually used a veal steak called ‘veal for grilling’.
You could also use leftover grilled steak – even easier.
Beef, Chickpea and Feta Pasta Salad
Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 1/4 cups (4.2oz, 125gr) bite-size pasta, rigatoni, penne, etc.
- 10oz (300gr) flank steak
- 1 3/4 cups (15oz, 450gr) chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 4oz (120gr) feta cheese, cubed
- 4oz (120gr) spinach leaves, torn if large
- 2 tbs fresh chives or garlic chives, chopped
- 2 tbs fresh basil, chopped
- 5 large fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 tbs ketchup
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbs tomato paste substitute ketchup
- 2 tbs Balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp Soy sauce
- 4 tbs salad olive oil
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. When done, drain and put into a large serving bowl.
- Mix ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, oil, chili powder and oregano for marinade.
- Spoon marinade over steak and let marinate.
- Make vinaigrette: Put all ingredients in small bowl and whisk well to combine.
- Cook steak on barbecue grill or quickly sauté in nonstick skillet on stove. Either way cooking time is 3 – 4 minutes over medium-high heat.
- Remove and let rest.
- Add herbs and spinach to pasta.
- Add vinaigrette and toss well to coat.
- Slice the steak diagonally across the grain.
- Add steak to pasta along with chickpeas. Toss well to coat.
- Add feta and toss gently, just to combine. Serve.
We went to a Medieval Festival again.
Sadly, it seems to be getting smaller, rather than larger.
But it was still fun and a great way to spend a weekend afternoon.
There are almost always bird demonstrations at this type of fete here in France.
You can see the owl facing away on the left and a hawk on the right. I’m not quite sure what the llama’s purpose was – maybe to be petted by the kids?
Like this cute little pig?
He seemed more than content to just stand there and let child after child come over and pet him.
A little later we saw him off walking with his human.
There were the usual medieval craftspeople.
And iron workers.
It was interesting to see a woman working the forge.
More photos next time.