I planted 4 kinds of onions this year, plus the shallots.
We all know that the bunnies ate the shallots, but for a reason only known to bunnies, they left the onions alone.
They are French bunnies, after all….
The brown onions and the red onions are pulled, cured, braided and hung in the cave. It wasn’t a particularly good year for any of them…. Possibly a bit too wet in the spring.
The sweet onions don’t keep – so we have to eat them (poor us). We have one or two every night, tossed in with the potatoes or summer squash or both.
But they are especially good grilled with these hot, spicy Dijon-style mustard burgers.
Use more or less mustard if you like and / or add a drop or two or three of your favorite hot sauce.
Grilled Dijon Burgers with Onions
Total time: 25 minutes
- 12oz (360gr) ground beef
- 2 tbs dried breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs red wine
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large or 2 medium red or sweet onion
- Basting Sauce:
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs red wine
- 1 tbs Worcestershire Sauce
- Mix breadcrumbs, mustard, red wine and garlic powder.
- Add beef and mix thoroughly.
- Shape into 3 or 4 patties.
- Oil hinged basket. Place patties in basket and cook on barbecue grill over direct heat for 4 – 5 minutes per side, basting each side with sauce.
- Slice onion into 1/2″ (1.25 cm) thick slices.
- Brush both sides of slices with basting sauce and put on a mesh grill pan (the idea is not to have the slices fall through the grate into the fire….)
- Cook over direct heat 4 – 5 minutes per side, turning once or until they have a nice color and are crisp-tender.
- Or sauté in nonstick skillet for same amount of time, basting.
- Basting Sauce:
- Put olive oil, mustard, red wine and Worcestershire in a small bowl, stir well to combine.
We finally managed to get our pool up and full of water…. as a pool should be.
Mon mari now gets to do the part he actually enjoys: building the deck.
He was off buying the wood before the pool was even half full.
There will be a pool-high deck of about 5 feet all around the pool. The larger deck that comes off the balcony, will be on two sides.
When we were in the midst of the heat wave over the last week I have been taking a sunset swim, which is quite lovely.
Now that the temp is down to a mere 90F (32C) that is a little cool.
So I’m going now.