I know the world loves using spaghetti squash in place of pasta to avoid ‘carbs’ but these are quicker and easier: just noodles made from eggs with a bit of flour.
We actually like carbs, especially pasta, but, we have this as a first course, and even we don’t do more than one carb for dinner.
You could, of course, make more of the noodles and have it for lunch or dinner. They actually stand up quite well to a medium-weight sauce.
The flour adds ‘body’. You could use cornstarch in place of the flour, or skip it completely if you are eating gluten-free.
Egg ‘Noodles’ with Mushroom Sauce
Total time: 35 minutes
- 3 eggs,
- 2 1/4 tsp flour
- 4 1/2 tsp milk
- 2 tsp oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 3oz (90gr) cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 3oz (90gr) bacon, chopped
- 3 tbs white wine
- 1 1/2 tbs Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tbs Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a medium skillet. Add bacon and fry until starting to get crisp.
- Add shallots, mushrooms, reduce heat and sauté until nicely browned.
- Add Worcestershire, wine, mustard and stir until well combined and thick.
- Put eggs in medium bowl and whisk well.
- Add flour, a little at a time, sprinkling it across the eggs, and whisking well after each addition.
- Add the milk and whisk well.
- Heat the oil in a medium nonstick skillet or omelet pan, 7 – 8″ (20cm) in diameter, over medium heat.
- Add 1/3rd of the egg mixture, tilting pan to cover well.
- Let cook, undisturbed for 1 – 2 minutes, until cooked through and top is dry.
- With a spatula, carefully turn and cook on the other side for 30 seconds.
- Remove to a plate. Do not keep warm.
- Repeat twice more.
- When eggs are done, and cooled slightly, roll each up like a cigar and slice 1/3″ (1cm) strips.
- Divide strips in half and arrange on a plate.
- Spoon sauce over and serve.
There was a lot of progress on the pool deck this week:
The framing was finished for the second level of the deck. This will be the biggest space.
Then he did the stairs connecting these two levels.
We now have stairs leading nowhere that one can’t get to from anywhere….
But, once on the pool level deck he can now go up the stairs to lay the floor on the next deck,
Disregard the dead petunia in the corner.
It’s been dry here – and time for the summer flowers to hit the compost.